• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

new aston photo's

L

leelou

I thought i'd add the photograhs that i took last year of Lozells/aston. I am searching my family tree and visited streets with my dad that he used to know. I understand some have changed beyond recognision but some small shots are just as he remembered! I have done more research and some photo's have more meaning now.

Chain Walk. A Great Uncle is named on his wedding cert as living in this road when marrying at St Pauls.

My dad, Nigel Hanson was raised by his nan and grandad Pedley in Clifford Street from 1947 when he was 2.

Lozells Street / Gerrard Street Methadist Church

The union pub and Gunmakers arms.

regards Louise

Those are lovely photos Louise. I remember Chain Walk very well and it doesn't look to have changed at all.

Hi Alf

Yes my dad moved from Clifford Street to live with his aunt after the death of his grandparents 1953/54 aged 8. He attended Aldridge Road Schools until he moved to Brushfield Road and later attended Great Barr Comp. His Grandad Pedley used to work at BSA as a polisher. Dad (Nigel Hanson) worked at Lewis's in the late 1960's early 1970's on the furniture department.

Now I have done more research on my family tree I will go back to this area armed with my camera and post my new snaps here!

Great Photos..thanks for posting them. Glad to see Chain Walk is still there.
Oh Yes.... Madame Amies......I have posted stories on this forum about
going there in the late l950's. It was almost the end of an era at that time but still a great experience and I can remember in the interval the DJ would announce a Rock n Roll session and remember hearing Buddy Holly record "Wake Up little Susie" for the first time. My Mum had danced away the evenings at Madame Amies when she was young and also danced at the Albert Hall on Witton Road. Happy days.

Thanks for the photo's Louise, my father was born in Chain Walk and lived there until he married. My grandmother died in 1946, and I recall being taken there by dad, behind the houses on your photo were more houses in rows. There were courts of two houses, reached through a gate in a wall, and when you looked through the front room window there were more houses behind. Gran had a plant in the window, I know now it was an aspidistra. They cost a lot of money now, not sure how much they were when gran would have bought it.

There were two bedrooms so dad slept top and tail in a bed with his three brothers. They didn't have blankets but old coats on the bed, and the shoes dad wore always had holes in the sole, so he would cut cardboard and put it in his shoes to cover the holes, not much good when it rained.

Great photos Louise, they bring back many memories. In Guildford Street we always refered to Chain Walk as Chainey Walk. There was a time when I would wait near the Union pub, to meet a girl friend from Lozells Street School when I was about 16

Back