• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

new and lost

H

hamesi

Hi
i'm a new member today, researching my grandmother and greatgrandparents who i believe lived on skinner lane approx 1880, my grandma's birth certificate states she lived on lime grove, skinner lane (1895) but i cant find any trace any ideas?

i am looking for Brookstein, morigan,killcar,mcdermott,hames,offen

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hamesi and welcome to the forum.I'm sure you won't be lost for long!!
If you can provide us with some names,maybe one of us could have a look for you.

Hiya Hamesi :) Don't worry we were all new here once :)you will really enjoy the forum when you find your way around..I am sure as Linda said someone will be along to help you:):)

Welcome to the forum Hamesi I am sure you will soon find yourself addicted like the rest of us. I have looked in my old street guide and there was a Skinner Lane which ran from 148 Hurst Street to Dean Street, Birmingham.5. No mention of Lime Grove though. This is around the markets area of the city centre.

Thanks for the welcome, i keep coming to dead ends after the marriage there doesnt seem to be anything, Wolf Brookstein(Woolf) and Mary Morigan both from Old Inkleys, wolf and his father Joseph were both tailors and Mary's father Thomas Morigan was a spoon forger.

Is this your family of Brooksteins?
Joseph is down as a widower and a tailor.No sign of Wolf,though?
Name:Mary J BrooksteinAge:6 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1895
Relation daughter Mother's Name:Emily Gender:Female,
Where born:London, England
Civil Parish:Birmingham Ecclesiastical parish:St David County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England Street address:36 Kent Street

Registration district:Birmingham Sub registration district:St Martin ED,
institution, or vessel:40
Household schedule number:178Household Members:
Name Emily Brookstein42 (widow)
Frank Brookstein17
Kate Brookstein15
Thomas Brookstein8
Mary J Brookstein6
Joseph M Brookstein64

Welcome Hamesi.
I have looked at the 1896 and several earlier directories and there were 4 Lime Groves, but can find no Lime grove near Skinner lane. that does not mean it did not exist, just that it probably was just a name given to a row of houses in a street that was not noted in the directories
Mike

Thanks for the welcome, i keep coming to dead ends after the marriage there doesnt seem to be anything, Wolf Brookstein(Woolf) and Mary Morigan both from Old Inkleys, wolf and his father Joseph were both tailors and Mary's father Thomas Morigan was a spoon forger.
I have information on Wolf Brookstein's wife Mary's family if you still need it.

hello janis i am afraid that hamesi is no longer a member of the forum so unless he/she rejoins they will not be able to reply to your post

lyn

Back