• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nelson Street Primary School Ladywood

calcbird

proper brummie kid
My first school was Nelson Street Primary and Junior school (1946-53). Then George Dixon grammar school for boys (1953-58).

Edit. Details of the school below from Britis History Online.

NELSON STREET COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Parade.(27) Nelson St. Bd. Sch. opened 1876 by Birm. Sch. Bd.(22) Accom. 800 B, G, I. Edward St. Bd. Sch. closed when it opened.(21) Fees 1d.– 3d.(22) Enlarged 1882. In 1889 nearly ⅓ children had free orders and there was difficulty in collecting some fees; all fees therefore reduced to 1d. Enlarged 1911. Bd. of Ed. demanded minor improvements in premises 1912. Summerhill Receiving Homes Sch. treated as annexe to this sch. 1921–8. Altered and reorganized 1928, 1932 for SG, JM, I. JM and I depts. united 1937. SG dept. closed 1939.(21) Accom. 1961: 12 classrooms, 3 halls.(28)

Last edited by a moderator:
grans cert.jpg
hello , i have this cert and have been unable to locate it there is no hebon street school on google i know it is either in aston or ladywood has any one got idea please ?

Good morning, hoping to link up with others who attended Nelson Street in the 50s and 60s to share memories. I'm one of four kids who went there, my brother Dennis would have started there around 1955; Steven 1958; Linda 1960 and myself 1961 (approx yrs).

Back