• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

neighbours and families

S

Stitcher

I was born in 1940 in Oakhill Crescent Acocks Green. I remember mom and dad taking me and my two brothers to the BSA Military Tattoo sort of thing on the sports ground next to the factory. Everyone knew everyone else in the road and when we went shopping at Lakey Lane shops, women sweeping outside their houses and men tending their gardens would all say hello and sometimes have a brief chat. All the shpkeepers knew all their customers by name. If mom was not well, a neighbour would get the basic shopping to save mom going out. Dad grew vegies and a neighbour one side had a plum tree and the other side had an apple tree. They used to swap a bag of each for some of dads vegies. Mom made plum and apple jam,pickled onions and pickled cabbage. We had about eight chickens for the eggs and us three lads had to dig the enclosure so the chickens could scratch and get worms. When a chicken stopped laying it went into the pot. We even ate the pet rabbit once when times were difficult. All this may seem a bit bizzare to younger people but you must remember we were a family. We went to the cinema as a group with our friends, we played with all the other kids in the street and non of us were allowed to be cheeky and we kept out of trouble. We had birthday parties in the house. We all had birthday and Xmas cards/ pressies from the nieghbours. Oh Happy Days.

That's the way I remember.it Stitcher. I was brought up to mind my manners -Please and thank you every step of the way - Don't talk with your mouthful or intrupt when others are speaking. .

Who is to blame for the baksliding - Is it caused by a child living in a one parent family I think not.

Though I don't believe in physically disaplining a child out of anger I think a pat on the bottom wouldn't hurt some. We have been brain washed to think that to physically disapline a child these days is an offence. Why? because the poor child of today has had a hard life he comes from a one parent family or he is so poor that his friends make fun of him because he only has a Game Boy and not a Play Station 2. Utter nonesense.

The people who had a hard life were those who came through the Second World War. The children that were sent away from home to live with people that abused them. The child that saw its family home demolished, parents burnt to death in a bombing raid or blown to pieces. Those are the ones who have had a really hard life.

We were taught that disobedience did not pay, it is a foolish society that lets its children dictate the rules to their parents, and it is foolish adults that do away with discipline. . .

Beryl M. I truly believe we were happier than todays kids are. We used to watch in awe at the grocer cutting almost the exact amount of cheese for mom with a wire. Everything from the grocer was wrapped in fresh clean greaseproof paper. I know I am generalising here, and I know all kids are not bad but if you watch todays kids when the mother is shopping, they knock things off the shelves and scream and shout, while the mother says" you will annoy mommy if you keep this up". If you give in to a child that is playing up, you are teaching the child that playing up brings rewards. I suppose the whole thing will have to turn full circle before the loonies realise the old ways were best.

I sincerely believe growing up we were more grateful for what we were given – happier with far less and more imaginative in the games we played. .. . I really think children are more spoilt these days. Have to listen to a kid whine I WANT I WANT I WANT in a shopping mall wish I had my cell phone I could put the music up real loud. LOL. It seems to me the ones that have the most seem to be the ones who complain the most and running around with the latest of cell phones. Personally, I don’t think they should get one till age fourteen, an age when they can be made more responsible but that’s just me. Parents these days want to give to their children those things they themselves didn’t have.

’Greed’ is the operative word’, having said that, in truth what makes people on the whole feel uncomfortable is the widening gap between the world’s rich and poor. If it was not for the continual in-your-face reminders in the media of the growing inequality between people we would probably feel quite comfortable carrying on in own indifferent self-interest.

Take the housing crises in the U.S – with all those foreclosures. In some cases poor people silly enough to be buying a home with no down payment just to keep up with the Joneses, Their mortgages now more than their house is worth, and greedy money lenders devoid of morals. Then there’s the garment industry. I don’t think for one minute one minute we shouldn’t flaunt our designer outfits, but now that it’s no longer out of sight and out of mind, that those workers who make them are cruelly treated by working long hours in sweat shops paid little wages, will we let ourselves live with it? It remains to be seen.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: "From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage." -- Alexander Fraser Tytler (later Lord Alexander Fraser Woodhouslee), in "The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic," published 1776.

So where are we today? From all the selfishness and indifference that’s going around – What a mess we are in – people can’t see it. It’s up to each one of us to do our thing. . .

i agree stitcher. i would not swap my childhood for anything. i have 4 children and through my interest in history and how i grew up they have learned a lot and for all the modern technology. better housing designer clothes and trainers they all have said sometimes they wish the world was like it was when i was a kid and that we seemed to have more fun growing up. wales.

Wales, Did you make your own kites and bow and arrows? When times got a bit better I moved on to plastic aircraft and jigsaw puzzles. My family was not particularly church orientated, but my two brothers and me did go to Sunday School. This and the school assembly, which I am told has been stopped should be compulsory in some way because it would be the only time some people hear a peaceful voice. When we were young we behaved because it was instilled in us by our parents. I just feel sorry for todays children because heaven knows what the world be like when they are grown up.

yes stitcher we did all that. and we used to make our own go carts. that consisted of a couple of planks of wood 4 wheels off an old pram and some strong string for stearing. tell you what i can remember getting hours of fun from. do you recall the little plastic rockets. they came in all colours and we would buy a roll of caps and fit them under a little steel plate at the tip of the rocket throw them in the air and when they hit the ground. BANG. i also went so sunday school. it was the salvation army in nursery road hockley. when we came home mom and dad would always buy us an ice cream off the van. i realy could go on forever talking about the old days (some may say i do anyway) ha ha. such happy days. wales

Wales, I know what you mean. I am sometimes out late with my son who is a self-employed contractor and gets called out at night. I have come up Broad St with him and seen more than one female on her hands and knees being sick while other people are walking around her. I have seen the police trying to stop idiots from fighting. They all think they are having a good time. All I can say is that they find happiness in some strange ways. It also cost them a fortune to get happy.

you are right stitcher. but having said all that there are some good kids around. hope to talk again. wales.

Wales, yes you are so right. I normally say that I am generalising. There is a load of good kids out there, I just hope that things go right for them and they have a good life. Speak again.

Well Stitcher I didn't make my own go-cart but my grandad did. My sister put my best doll on it - you can guess what happened it rolled off being a china doll it broke to smitheens. Sundays were quiet days except for the radio and the church bells - For some reason in Canada they don't ring anymore - not sure of the reason.

I was happy till the war came and spoiled eerything. Like Wales I became one of those evacuee and needless to say it was the worst time of my life. . .

Beryl M. Large numbers of adults, men and women along with many youngsters have to have the most expensive of whatever. The amount of fun they will have with it is not important with kids, and with the adults it matters not one jot if it is practical or useful. As long as it costs a fortune they will want it. I really do feel that we have had the best society, nightlife and neighbours. Are you in Canada?

Yes Stitcher I now live in Canada. . It was a year after the war when my dad was demobed, having saved his pay being in the desert, we came out to Canada as a family to live.

Now married to a Scotsman named Stuart, whom I happened to meet here, we now live just north of Toronto in a place called Thornhill.

Admittedly, I have a good life here, but I have never forgotten my roots. I was brought up with strict parents, yet at the same time I knew I was very much loved.

Yes, I am very political and do care what goes on in the world. However, from what I see of you Stitcher, you have the good values I was brought up with, which unfortunaely are not so much instilled in the young today, and so I do agree with your assement one hundred percent. .
Even so we still have to hope for the future. I am sure there are many young folk living these days whose good values will shine. . .

https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/handsworth_26.htm

Beryl M. I wasnt being nosey when I asked if you are in Canada. I asked because you mentioned Church Bells I and did not know if you were aware that in England some village churches are being silenced because of complaints. I dont know if it is the same brigade of city dwellers who move into the country then complain about cockerills crowing. This has happened on more than one occasion and the chickens have to be kept quiet or the owner will face the wrath of the noise police.
About your outlook in general, all I can say is the world would be a much nicer place with more people like you. That said, I have to also agree that we all must strive to remain happy and contented although it gets more difficult as time passes.Chat again soon.

Hi Stitcher Sorry I posted John H 's story rather than my own. Both our stories are on 'Handworth Hiostory' and posted on British Evacuees.

I didn't know that in some places in England church bells didn't ring anymore. More pleasent than listening to a lawnmower any day LOL

We now have wind chimes iot's a good substitute.. Memories come to mind of St Mary's church Handsworth when I would wend my way up to the tower and watch the Bell Ringers.

I enjoy talking to you Stitcher - Thank you for that.

Beryl M, I dont want to mislead you about the bells. I have read about complaints of church bells in a couple of villages, but the cocks crowing is a big thing and the noise abatement society get them silenced or the owner prosecuted. Like you said "nice to chat" Bye.

Beryl M, forgive me if I sound less than enthusiastic, but I have a lot on at the moment. My wifes brother is in a hospice and I grow vegatables and show quality dahlias so some days my time is rather limited. Also I do not understand what it entails as regards this forum if I agree. Help me.

Hi Stitcher I am so sorry about your troubles and I do understand you have more on your mind than this forum - Like you I have a life outside that requires attention at times.

My Uncle used to show Dalhias - some with faces as large as plates. Do yours have single or double petals? Whichever they are all lovely I bet the Dalhia is your favourite flower. Hope you win first prize.

Actually, you can choose anyone to be your friend on the Forum. It doesn't involve a thing. It's just like having your own family members around you, except you get to pick who . Anyhow that's the way I see it you take care Beryl

Beryl M, I was concerned that I may need be online at a certain time or something. If its as you say I will be your friend with pleasure.

Lets get back to the post, When I was a kid I remember someone would always do the shopping if mom was not well. If for some reason mom was out when we got home from school, she would have made arrangements for a neighbour to look after us until she got back. It was strange because in those days houses had a smell different to the one where you lived. Some smelt of mothballs, furniture polish or lavender. There was never any need to bother the neighbours if we were going out on the day mom paid the milkman or the coalman. She would leave the milkmans money on the front step and the coalmans mononey on the kitchen table. The co-op divi ticket would be there with the change when we got back home. I remeber the man next door was a railway worker and he smoked a pipe, I can almost smell it now. Happy days.

Stitcher will you be mine too or I may sulk. Jean. [something I'm not is a sulky person] Might throw a benny now again though. Jean.

Gee Gee Jean, have I missed something. Will I be your what?

Back