• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Needle in a Haystack!

Shortie

master brummie
Can anyone offer advice on fidning someone with a very common name, possibly studying at the Royal College of Surgeons in 1841 and 1851.

The story so far is: Samuel Evans Smith was born in Atherstone, Warwickshire. Son of Thomas, who was a tailor, and Elizabeth nee Evans. I 'lost' this chap for a long time after finding his baptism, but then found a Samuel E Smith, married but seemingly without issue, living in Langham Place, London.

I have found him on the 1861, 1881 and 1891 census, the last one confirms my thoughts that he was the brother of myt 2 x gt grandmother. It seems he did well for himself, writing many book on aural disease, etc, but I would like to know where he married and where he was on the 1841 and 1851 censuses. I thought for a long time that this may may have been mine, as he consistenly said he was born in Atherstone, but when I found him visiting his sister-in-law in Smethwick, it confirmed my thoughts.

I would like to know how a son of a tailor in Atherstone (later Cardigan Street, off Curzon Street, Birmingham) managed to get sufficient education to become a surgeon, and a well-known one from what I have gathered.

Has anyone any ideas please how I can find out about his education which I am assuming was in London as he was a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons.

Any tips would be most appreciated, to fill in the gaps.

Shortie

Thank you Louisa, that's brilliant. I am glad I aksed, as I would not have known about this otherwise.

Thanks again.

Shortie

Hi Shortie
Extract from The Times Thursday 29th April 1858

"ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS. - The following gentlemen having undergone the necessary examinations for the diploma were admitted members of the college at the meeting of the court of examiners on 26th inst. - viz; .............. Samuel Evans Smith, Manchester"

Suzanne

Thank you Suzanne. I have been looking at the newpaper archives today, and found some mention of him, but this is brilliant it shows me how he met his wife - she came from Manchester. I wonder if I will ever find how a tailor's son became a surgeon? I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you so much.

Shortie

Shortie

Here are a few more links and thoughts

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/library/rnid_hist.shtml

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=1530-gs&cid=0#0

https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/default.aspx?top_nav_id=3&tab_id=121

The National Ear Institute was next to the Royal National Ear nose and throat Hospital in London, they have archives you can e-mail them about. A history of the hospital may help with dates or further into as to why he would have gone to London to this hospital was it new. Are there any articles in Newspapers about the institutes work or the doctors sometimes the new medical inventions etc got reported on.

The address in 1861 London for Samuel Evans Smith is 21 Langham Place Regent Street London

I dont know if he would have patented an invention of a medical instrument.
You could also sideways search for any of his research contempories like J.E.D. Rodgers who he mentions in the Google Book and they may be linked doing further research papers.

Another thought is that the name of Samuel Evans Smith seems to be more common that I would have thought anyway I was suprised how many I found. There is a birth of a Samuel Evans Smith 13 Oct 1822 in Mancetter Warwickshire with parents Thomas and Elizabeth Smith which is in the area of Atherstone I think and quite a few round Birmingham.

Very knowledgable and interesting ancestor, I wonder what professions his siblings followed.

Louisa

Shortie

Don't know if you came across the following whilst trawling the papers? It may help with documenting his work places.

Dated Sat 25th June 1859 The Morning Post. Taken from the article headed "The Ear Infirmary Conspiracy"

"Mr Samuel Evans Smith, surgeon to the National Ear Institution in Pall-mall East"

Suzanne

Thank you Louisa, I shall look at these later tonight - possibly when the football is on television.

The Samuel Evans Smith in Mancetter is the one we are speaking about. They lived in Atherstone. There are two daughters of the family, Rebecca and Emma who were not baptised - or if they were I have not found them - all living in Cardigan Street on the 1841 census. They had a brother who was a tailor, (Thomas) one who was a brassfounder (Edward or Edwin). Charles I have not found yet, and a sister Maria, there was a couple of others from memory, too. It was with Edward's/Edwin's wife that they were staying in 1891, so I am very sure that he is my Samuel Evans Smith - but I shall double check before I spend any money, which I clearly need to do. Atherstone is about five miles from where I live, and the church at Mancetter where they were baptised and the parent married, is one I attend from time to time.

Thank you Suzanne, I have much to study, I see. I have googled the name and come up with some things, but not as many as the Forum has turned up.

A big thanks to all who have assisted.

Shortie

Back