• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Francis Walls m Sarah Markland

jjuj

master brummie
My GG Grandfather Francis Walls b1820 re-married in 1882 to Sarah Markland b1832 in Birmingham. My problem is finding out that in her will she left to the following people. I cannot find a connection between her and those she named ! I see that [Sandoz Otheneret] lived in the same address 38 Goldsmith Road after her death. Was she married previously and had children ? Any help will be appeciated
1918 England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 Sarah Walls [Markham] left £1,349.13.10 to Mary Sandoz Otheneret wife of Alfred & John George Markland [Meter Fitter]

Jean

That's only the probate not the actual Will. I think that the people mentioned would be executors, they would be responsible for dealing with the will. Could just be a trusted friend.

Thank you for that. I was also wondering if the John George Markland was a relative, as I cannot find a previous marriage for Sarah Markland before she married Francis Walls at the age of 50 ! Would there be record of the actual will and beneficaries?

It looks like John George Markland was her nephew, the son of an older brother Richard Markland.

I think you can purchase a copy of the will from the National Archives.

Last edited:
I think I was able to find it.

Gov.uk Find a will > Wills & Probate 1858 - 1996 > Enter Walls and 1918

This brings up the Probate index page(s). Go to Page 2.

In the input fields enter Date of Probate > Date of Death > Sarah > From the dropdown list > Birmingham

Get your CC out.

Back