• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells

great photos winston, crikey, i remember all those very well, i had mates in those exact houses in cromwell street and scofield street, how the bloody hell we survived in those conditions staggers me, i also used to swim in the canals bottom of long acre, we realy moved up a peg when we swam up the walsal canal great barr, no dirty mud or slime, just the odd dead dog,-do,s any one have any idea why the queue down the gas works?? me and my kid brother had to get our coke from there on a saterday morning but i,ve never seen a queue that big, would it have been to collect the daily mail boots i wonder?

Hi jim I lived in penstone terrace aswell at No 10 we also left around 1968 to live in cotterills lane alum rock I also went to saint Clements school with my brother jim. I recently visited the school and the care taker showed me round it bought back many memories.
Regards
Ross

Hello everyone, I am related to the Pedley family who died in the fire in Adams Street in 1927. I am trying to find out what happened to Charles Pedley, the father, who did not perish in the fire. Can anyone help?

Hello, I have just published a children's book about my dad growing up in 1921 who's father was a driver of horse drawn steam fire engines. He went to a fire in 13 January 1927 a house were a number of people (Family Pedley) perished. I have the Birmingham (Mail) paper clipping of this incident. The other funny thing is that my grandfather was also killed in 1936 as a passenger by a drunken driver. If you would like more info or copies of newspaper article contact me [email protected].

I remember walking to school from Taylor Street and looking up at the Newtons clock to see if we were late, going to the pictures in Aston Cross for a sixpenny sat matinee. The Taroni family lived on the corner. Those were carefree days and everyone was in the same boat.

I was born in Nechells, the streets around were Lister, scholfield, Oliver, Cromwell, Rupert, Cranbourne and other names associated with the civil war.
Was that area a camp used by the Roundheads during that period.?

I attended Lingard St. primary 1945-1951.
This I read was the first school in England, opened to public education in the 18th century.
Was originally setup by local industrialists to educate adult employees, at a penny a week, so they were able to understand written instructions that came with new industrial machinery. Was then opened to there children free of charge.
I would be keen to hear from anyone who can add to what I have written.

Presumably the school mentioned is the Bloomsbury County Primary listed in this link. That did not open until 1873 according to the entry. Maybe an earlier industrial foundation preceded it?

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548

The period mentioned can be found in Chapter two:
https://www.educationengland.org.uk/history/chapter02.html

The first link gives much information of Birmingham schools and anyone interested in the scholastic history of Britain may find the second link interesting.

Hi Pejoy,

I have never heard or read of any connection with Nechells and the English Civil War, though I would think it entirely possible that there could have been a parliamentary army camp somewhere in the area when they attacked Aston Hall.

I do recall reading that a Mr Cato was one of the founders, the original lessons were conducted in private homes, then to a school building erected by the founders.

The school I mentioned was Bloomsbury county Primary, I remember the date carved in the brick work.

There was quite a large presence of both Cromwells troops and the Cavaliers in and around Birmingham during the Civil War
and I have a book which tells of the Battle of Camp hill in 1643 troops led by Prince Rupert.
At the time Birmingham supported the Cromwell Army as the city was mainly Puritan and the smiths made swords for the Parliamentary force.

Thanks Alberta.
I have only just discovered this group, and i'm just finding my around.
I am so impressed, the replies have been so quick and informative.
After 40+yrs living in Australia still have fond memories of growing up in Brum.
Best wishes and thanks.

Jackie......copy and paste it to you desktop then use you photo programme to enlarge it.....but if you cannot do that I will give you a brief outline......a fire on the 13th Jan 1927 killed 7 members of one family living in Adams Street, Charles Pedley's wife and a number of his children died in the fire....Charles survived..?
hello I am new to this forum ,I am glad I found it ,this is an old story but wow Charles Pedley would be my grandfather and the poor children would be my uncles ,aunts .one of the survivors was my uncle Tom pedley he had burns I remember his ear deformed I was very small . I was born in Bromford lane Erdington . I am trying to find my relatives or anyone that knew them , my mom was EVA DORIS PEDLEY (JONES )when married to my dad ALFRED GEORGE JONES I remember stories of the fire but no one really talked of it much I know Charles had a fish shop I think the other surviver was called FRED, TOMS brother I think there was a male somewhere Jackie smith .I have been told Charles died of cancer unfortunately I have never met some of my relatives of my parents but would love to hear from ayone that knew them or of them ,my mother was Charles and his second wifes daughter she was called Mcdonald before she married Charles hope to hear from anyone just another thought ,when I was at school at springfield road my teacher was called mrs sefton ,and a girl in my class called Beverly ,no sir name sorry ooh a boy last name Dunbar too ,I ,we left Birmingham and moved to Northern Ireland in 1967 then we came to cornwall in 1971 I have been here ever since I am now 57 years old but still a brumie

duddeston mill road

yes the shop was at the corner of duddeston mill road and little hall road but when i lived there they were flats the station used to give me the creeps when it was dark my brothers friend got killed on the railway track
My friend Margaret Carter lived 15/2 Little Hall Rd My cousin's son got killed on the railway track Duddeston wonder if this was your brothers friend???? he was only 12

image.jpeg

Blaze at Laquer Store June 1939....Postans, Morley Bros. and Birtles Ltd at Trevor Street, Nechells.

(Details are given if anyone would like to know)

My father (John Dobson) and uncle (Clive Dobson) were both at Eliot Street late 40's to mid 50's, they lived on Malvern Hill Road, i have been trying to obtain school photos of them but without any success, i was hoping someone on this forum might be able to help or advice me where to look?

Also would be interested in seeing any phot0's of Malvern Hill Road taken in the 50's.

My nan (Mavis Dobson) worked in the kitchens at Loxton Street School in the 50's before the whole family moved to the Lyndhurst circa 1958 when it was a new Estate.

Back