• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nechells

Following on from the 1955 scan, it appears that searching for some of those residents and the house numbers in 1950 lists them all on Trevor St (search results) which I assume is wrong and it would be Cattells Grove on the scan.

Following on from the 1955 scan, it appears that searching for some of those residents and the house numbers in 1950 lists them all on Trevor St (search results) which I assume is wrong and it would be Cattells Grove on the scan.
I only found 1955 because something made me check the 1939 reg and some names matched the 1960 eroll (which was Cattell's grove) and when I searched for one of the names 1955 came up but transcribed as "Elizabeth A" o_O
1945 was Stuart Grove
Just found 1950 and it starts
1642776606900.png.
Trevpr Street is not even on the same page - have seen that quite often where the transcriber doesn't realise the road name has changed half way down a page.
No excuse when they are transcribing typed scripts - I can understand census errors when the writing is hard to decipher. Moan over. :rolleyes:

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
just testing
Cromwell_Arms_Pub_x.jpg
Anyone know what road this was on?

Hello everyone, I am related to the Pedley family who died in the fire in Adams Street in 1927. I am trying to find out what happened to Charles Pedley, the father, who did not perish in the fire. Can anyone help?
Hi Hockley Fan, I am related to Charles who survived the fire in Adams street, and my cousin is closer to him as charles was his grandfather.

Hi Hockley Fan, I am related to Charles who survived the fire in Adams street, and my cousin is closer to him as charles was his grandfather.
Hello I'm martyn Charles Pedley grandson I am in Telford untill tomorrow my cousin and I visited Charles first wife and childeren grave today if you would like to make contact please get in touch regards m

It me lol. I was just browsing though the threads from years back and found yours, wasnt sure if it was you or someone new on the family tree making an enquiry. lol

I wonder if we are replying to each other or a different person on here? Hockley fan is a different person I think Martyn.

Hi Shirley,

I have these early photos of Bullock St. I have seen others about but they are much later when the street was nearly all industry.

Phil
I appreciate this is an old post but I've only just seen it! I'm especially interested in the first photo of the traveller's encampment. I think it's where my Great grandmother Martha Cooper lived, at the back of her mother-in-law's house, according to a census.Her husband David is referred to as a "traveller " If anyone has any information about the Irish travelling community in Brum,or links to where I can find out more, I'd be glad to receive it,also general info.about the area and anecdotes about growing up there in the 1920's and 30's.Thanks in advance.

I appreciate this is an old post but I've only just seen it! I'm especially interested in the first photo of the traveller's encampment. I think it's where my Great grandmother Martha Cooper lived, at the back of her mother-in-law's house, according to a census.Her husband David is referred to as a "traveller " If anyone has any information about the Irish travelling community in Brum,or links to where I can find out more, I'd be glad to receive it,also general info.about the area and anecdotes about growing up there in the 1920's and 30's.Thanks in advance.

As far as I can see (if I have the correct family) David Cooper was born Bham and is mostly listed as a carter on the censuses. His father (William) is listed as a traveller on one census but apart from that he is a hawker or pearl button maker. He also appears to have been born in Bham.

However here is a map of Bullock St from 1890...

0 - Bullock St.jpg

An aerial view of Bullock Street from 1933.

Attachments

• bullock-st-nechells.jpg
    bullock-st-nechells.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 12
  • Appreciate
As far as I can see (if I have the correct family) David Cooper was born Bham and is mostly listed as a carter on the censuses. His father (William) is listed as a traveller on one census but apart from that he is a hawker or pearl button maker. He also appears to have been born in Bham.

View attachment 188078

View attachment 188078

Jean

Dek is certainly right, Melvina Rd didn't exist until the 60's when Little Hall Rd and Melvina Rd replaced the bottom end of Bloomsbury and Great Francis Streets.

I have no recollection of a Barford St or Road in Nechells, the only ones I know of are Barford St in Highgate and Barford Rd in Birmingham 16 Ladywood and Barford Rd Shirley.

Phil
Melvina Road existed in the 50s for sure as my brother was born there in 1954. They were sets of 3 storey flats and we lived on the ground floor of one such set Block 10 flat 2 ... as youngsters we used to walk along that wall that was alongside the railway line. we moved out about 1958 i reckon, i remember specifically playing on the bombed buildings at the bottom of the road.

An aerial view (1935), I think this shows the area which became Melvina Road.

Attachments

• melvina-rd-site-of.jpg
    melvina-rd-site-of.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Appreciate
Back