• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells

ragga

I have never seen that one before on the forum and I know pretty much every Nechells photo that is on the forum. There are older ones of the same location when the café looks like what might have been an outdoor on the other photo. There was another of a retiring bus driver using the Bundy clock for the last time surrounded by local residents.

Fabulous pictures again Winston. Especially #229 & #232. I used to deliver papers from a shop down Duddeston Mill Rd. If I remember right it was Taylors newsagents. Lovely to see that view again, as it was in 1963. I have just found my old employment card that says it was at 75 Duddeston Mill Rd. Happy days.

Great photo Ragga.We had a discussion some time ago on which side of the road this Bundy clock was I think this answers the question. Dek

Phil I have manage to get hold of a couple of Photos of St James St.As I have never seen any before I hope they will be new to everyone Will post them later.Dek

Dek

Just great and you know that I am going to nick a couple of copies don't you?

Dek

Copyright is so convoluted I think, you can see the same photo with three or four different people claiming copyright. How can they each have copyright on the same photo. Then you see photos that are tagged anonymous and they have people claiming copyright how can they have copyright when they don't even know who took the photo on the first place. I think that a lot of copyright claims are garbage, but after saying that I also believe that there are a lot of genuine copyrights out there which should be adhered to.

Dek

Seeing the dates on those photos made me think, were they really beginning to demolish the houses in St James St as early as that, but then I realised they must have been because that whole corner of Vauxhall Rd, Great Brook St, Ashted Row was redeveloped by about 62.

Yes Phil the house boarded up opposite the outdoor was the Lloyds they were first to go in the street I know this because I fancied their daughter Doreen she was the most beautifull girl in the area in my eyes no luck though she wasn,t interested in me.
You can just make out the houses on Barrack St and the gap in the houses (two thirds down) would be Chickeley St.Dek

i remember my first day at st matts lol teacher was miss williams and i swore at her when i didnt want to go to school i stareted in 1949 does anyone remember the ballards

Have been looking for the name of this street for years my mom said that I was born in scofield street nechells green but have never been able to find it.

Have been looking for the name of this street for years my mom said that I was born in scofield street nechells green but have never been able to find it.
Hi , Schofield Street was off Rocky Lane, between Cromwell Street and Nechells Green. My first girlfriend lived in Schofield Street, I helped her to bury a chicken that had died which she got from the Rag and Bone Man. WEe only about 6/7 years old !
Regards Reg

My aunt and uncle along with their seven children lived lived in Cattles grove i think thats how you spell it
i recall they had burnt out garage at back of yard . Also i recall walking along main road as buildings were pulled down and covered in dust my mom
was not very happy about that .I was baptized at St vincents r. c church the old one

hi toast, i think someone has answered you on this, yes scofield street was of rocky lane, between bloomsbury street, and cromwell street, we lived on rocky lane by the corner shop, henry lived around the corner, doing scrap, top half, joey lived half-way down, doing the coal, and there dad lived down the bottom. for some reason theyve wiped the street of the map, shame, rough but happy days.

Hi everybody, I lived in penstone terrace off Trevor street and went to st Clements school. We left in 1968 to alum rock which was close to my grandmothers house. My dad used to drink in the new inns at the top of the road.

Back