• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Secondary Modern School Charles Arthur St School

C

Chrissy

I started off at Cromwell St nursery and went through to the infants and Jrs before going to Charles Arthur St Seniors. I remember Mrs Painter but I am very fuzzy about any other teachers. The head at Charles Arthur had a nick name of "Spud"? We use to play British Bull Dog, French Skipping, Spin the Bottle at break times. We had warm or frozen milk, depending on the weather and who remember the round mint choclate, mint bingo.
I played in the Skittles Team along with Christine Evans who was our Captain.

Good old Charlie Arthur .#
Went there in the early 50s headmaster mr Butler . with Mister Colley.... Griffiths.... Edwards.... Savage... mrs hinchcliffe, mrs Jones Miss Caplan. Mrs Hinchcliffe still going strong i hear and well in her 80s. ggod school and sorely missed:)

charlie arthur street

hi cabman2.
i went to charles arthur street till halfway through the first year seniors,i had left cromwell street having gone from infant /juniors,
mr troop was the headmaster as i remember? i remember mr colley,
and that nasty piece of work griffiths i,d like to meet him he beat me up one day for calling a girl foureyes,it was,nt meant in a nasty way.
but he beat me big style,and i would,nt let my mom come and sort him out,such is life.
when i left there as i,ve said halfway through 1st year seniors we moved from 3 comwell street the top end just off grt lister street, to south yardley and i did the rest off my schooling at lea village.
unhappy happy days.:cry: regards dereklcg.

Last edited by a moderator:
charlie arthur

thanks for the piccies Pom. ahhh nostalgia is a great thing .
classroom looks quite familiar actually.:D

I was at Charlie Arthur St 1955 - 1959 and through FriendsUnited I got a picture of a class, most of whom came to C A St a year behind me. I have got many names to match the picture, mostly from Carol Wale and Colin Preece, who are both on the picture. If anyone is interested, I will supply the names I have and maybe someone can fill in some blanks.
I peronally, am looking for pictures from C A St for this period if anyone has any I would be very grateful if they could be posted.

Hi Cromwell,
I just re-read my previous post and I can see that it looked as though I thought it was a picture taken at C A St. I knew it was Cromwell St, I just didnt say so!
Can you send me your list of names so that I can pass them on to people from that class who I am currently in contact with? Are you on the picture by the way?

Hi Dave

I was interested in the photograph of Charles Arthur Street school and
would like to know the names of some of the girls who I think I remember.

You are not set up for IM.

Hello maryann (goodbye heart!),
The picture was actually taken at Cromwell St School (see my previous post) but many of the pupils went to C A St afterwards. Cromwell has not yet responded to my plea for names but I will send the ones I do have by IM if someone could tell me how?

hi i would love to see the pics you have of charles arther street school. the attachments dont work. could you possibly send me some. thanks.

Hi Louisa,
The attached is all I have to date. If you are able to update the MSWord file please do so and re-post or send it via an IM. Sadly Johnny Adams passed away more than a year ago. He was the best friend of Colin Preece, who has been a good friend of mine since our days at CA Street.

Thank you so very much for these photos. In the 2nd picture,are a row of 5 houses, next to the school caretakers house. I was born in the house next door to the care taker, 107 Charles Arthur Street. You have made me very happy, even if I cried when I saw the picture. Our family name is Earp. Is there anyone out there who remebers us?

Hi Chris, memories of Charlie Arthur before I left to go to art school, haven't forgotten about photos have just found them and will send in e-mail.
Regards John.

These photos were taken mid 60s, I know this because I use to live in the house next door to the school caretakers house and we moved out around 1965/66 because they were knocking the houses and the school down making way for the estate that is there today. I lived at 107 Charles Arthur St

I was at Charles Arthur street school, from 1967-1973, it had been re-named, at some point, to Nechells Park S.M. I wondered if anyone had any school pictures of those years, or pictures of the school itself.

They were the happiest days of my life.

Matahari

Re: charlie arthur street

I remember Mr Troop, and mr Ryan, who scared the hell out of me, until I was in the fourth year, then I gave as good as I got. And does anyone remember Mr Dodd, he was lovely. Or Mr Osborne and his Dog George....need I say more.

Was it Mr Collie that took us for tecnical drawing,or did i dream it?
i remember Mr Troop scary geezer,and then there was that welsh teacher,
he beat me up one day can,t think of his name.
dereklcg

Back