• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Road

Thanks Phil! Just trying to work out which of the two maps is the oldest - your map above shows the War Memorial on the corner of Stuart Street/Nechells Park Road so must be after 1918. What I didn't know, there was a playing fields on other side of Long Acre - and a school - probably attached to St Joseph's?
Hi debs The playing field shown on the map was johnnie wrights playing field it had big green gates that seemed permenantly closed but didnt stop the kids getting over we lived across the road at 3baka162 long acre.
Philbee

Wow. Does anyone know where the "Cornies" or "Corneys" was? Mum used to talk about playing down the Cornies, I got the impression it was somewhere in the Johnnie Wright's area?

debs have you found this map site yet..just move the blue dot back and forth to see what was there then and what is there now...type in the st or road you want..type in what background map i usually use ESRI WORLD IMAGARY...type in the year of map you want..i mainly choose OS SIX INCH 1888 to 1913...below is the link to the site and ive left it set on the area we are talking about...then just move the blue left to right...you can move the map around to go wherever you wish...ive spent many hours on this site as it does become addictive:D

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5022&lon=-1.8697&layers=6&b=1
fantasic tool lyn thanks. at last i have a map of the old gasworks /line

Phil, the pic of Nechells Park Road/Butlin Street takes me right back,

Does anyone remember Smiths Newsagent just down from Mansells, I used to get my comics from there every week - Jackie, Mandy - think they used to be out on a Thursday! Mr and Mrs Smith used to have bull dogs, they used to jump up above the counter and scare me witless.

Further down there was a chemist, Mom would get me some Lucozade from there when I wasn't well, and somewhere by the corner of Malvern Hill Road was a sweet shop called ? Whittal's.

I have written this to correct my error. There were two shops on the horse road owned by the Mansells. A grocery shop on the diagonal corner to the swimming baths and a wool shop on the corner of Butlin Street.

Hi Maggie,
I may be a bit late having just found your post and the reply from mwOnjm., I remember Nechells Hall very well, as you say the building was set back from the road on the right just before Trevor Street going towards the swimming baths. I think it was built in the early 30's and was a "Methodist Hall" .When the Methodist Chapel in Rocky Lane closed soon after the war most of the regular congregation attended Nechells Hall together with the Boys Brigade who held their meetings there, also the youth club of which I was a member.At the rear of the main hall on an upper floor was another large room where we played table tennis and also taught the basics of ballroom dancing. Choir concerts and other "Shows" were staged in the main hall on occasions.There was also a film projection room but I never saw any films being shown.
Regards Reg, "Roverman"
any one remember this hall, any pic please!

I have no personal memories of this place, and if I am honest I can't even recall it, but here is a photo even if it is a little earlier than the time requested. I hope it's the right place.

Nechells Nechells Park Rd.jpg

loverly pic.it did not change much, it still looked like that in 1950s. thanks Viv
[/QUOTE

Wow! Ive never seen this photo before! I agree with the person who posted earlier that it hadn't changed much up to the fifties. But, because it's the first time I've seen a photo from so much nearer to the green, the memories really did come flooding back to me, I almost drowned in the memories rushing in. Later, looking at the photo, I was interested in the single/double track of tramlines and over head wire. I know exactly how it worked but won't bother you folks with that technological device. Just, thank you, thank you to whoever posted this photo.

Hi thank you for this info and the picture, I’ve just found my moms bible which she was given when she attended nechells hall Methodist, it was given on 12 May 1937 to commemorate the coronation. Mom would have been 7, she ended up becoming a brown owl in the guides at the hall. It’s lovely to see the hall, I was expecting it to be a little wooden hut.

If anybody finds or knows of a photo of the older properties opposite Cheatham Street at any time before it was redeveloped I'd be most interested. Thanks.

or indeed any photos of cheatham st itself because if there are any photos taken of the street looking towards nechells park road they may just show no 356 nechells park road

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MSB
Back