• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Road

I remember in the 50's/60's era my Wife dragging me along to a shop called Bullivant's in Nechells Park Rd, a I think it was a drapers, a favourite shop of hers. Eric
Hi, Cookie! Bullivants was great shop indeed! So good that it only closed in recent years. As far as I know it hasn't been pulled down.

hi ivor...i posted a pic of bullivants on post 9 but would love to see more of this shop

lyn

Yes indeed guys Bullys was there for decades and also they had another shop as well
which also was there for decades and that was on nechells park road nechells dring the same leng of time
It was by clements road and just yards from the mens public toilets the old cast iron built
victorian
and many years back on this forum twelve years ago w had this thread open for discussing
and with the photograph of there two shop premises
my wife was brought up in clements road and went with her mother often to purchase materials
and i used to go to the one on lozells road next to the church and it was almost facing
wheeler street and i used to buy the scrimm from there myself as a young lad
i used to clean windows for a shilling down and around long acre and aston church lane
and surrounding street way back in the fifty and sixtys
best wishes Alan;;;;; Astonian ;;;;;;

Whilst on the subject of nechells park road, Auustin street nechells springs to my mind
formerly Ann street and becoming Austin street in 1872, the date of the renaming
is too early too suggest that it relates to Austen Chamberlain, the oldest son of Joseph Chamberlain,
whom was only nine years old at that time.. what ever its origins,
Austin Street ran from Nechells park road to mount street,
And was one of a host of streets to disapear in the post second world war redevelopment of Birmingham
best wishes a always,,,, Alan, Astonian,,,,

No idea of the date of this one. There's a car which someone might recognise. But what on earth is that on the pavement (left) on the corner? And what's happened to the lampost on the right? Viv.

image.jpeg

no idea what that is on the left corner viv but could that be a litter basket on the lampost...dont know if they were about then...stanley road just past the lady on the right..

An old picture by the look of the lanterns and the trolley buses that ran there ceased in the early part of WW2.
But I do believe it is a litter basket, one of those wire ones common many years ago.

The Street on the left was/is Chattaway Street where once stood Nechells Manor House. I don't know if it is the dog scratching itself or the sapling that you are referring to, but in this photo he seems to have finished his scratch ad took to his heels.

By the way I forgot to add that as the tram service on Nechells Park Rd was replaced by trolleybus in 1921 the photo must have been after then because the tram track are gone.

Nechells Nechells Park Rd bottom of hill.JPG

Last edited:
wished the manor house was still there phil...you may recall my rellies once owned it.only got that half demolished photo of it...so far:D

lyn

I'm pretty sure I have posted this one before, which was obviously taken shortly before demolition.

Nechells Nechells Manor House Chattaway St By Cook St   .jpg

yes thanks phil thats the one you posted for me a few years back...only one i have to date

lyn

This is on ebay for £32, ridiculous price, don't know whereabouts in Nechells Park road, and I walked that road 2 or 3 times a day for 5 yearsView attachment 107143
John Knight said he didn't know where the photographer stood to take the £35 photo of Nechells Park Road. Well, extreme left is Butlin Street leading down to Aston Sheds. Extreme right was a yard of back-to-back houses where my friend Raymond lived. Straight ahead is The cross roads of Aston Church Road (r)) and Holborn Hill. I saved lots of my pocket money at the Post Office by the pilar box by buying saving stamps with a photo of young Prince Charles on the front.

Another nice 1920's photo of Nechells Park Road, this time looking back toward Bloomsbury Street from Aston Church Road. Just out of sight on the left would have been the not very old Nechells baths and to the right would have been Ernest H Lloyd Beer Retailer which would later become the Villa Tavern.

Nechells Nechells Park Rd 1920.jpg

This is on ebay for £32, ridiculous price, don't know whereabouts in Nechells Park road, and I walked that road 2 or 3 times a day for 5 yearsView attachment 107143
Right! Something went wrong with my earlier comment on this photo of Nechells Park Road. So... extreme right of the photo is Butlin Street leading down to Long Acre which was my address, 204. Butlin Street was where the entry to our back yard was found. Extreme right of the photo was a yard of back-to-back houses. Nigel Mansell's mother ran the shop on the left hand corner in the years I lived there and sold wool and sewing materials. She also ran a grocery shop further into the photo on the corner of Holborn Hill. Two doors away from the wool shop was a Post Office where I regularly bought saving stamps at a tanner a piece. Young Prince Charles was featured on the stamp face. There was no interest on my savings. That could be one reason why he is rich and I am penniless. Malvern Hill Road still runs between Holborn Hill and Butlin Street and can be just made out on close inspection of the photo. BMTR had a depot in Malvern Hill Road and hundreds of tyres were stacked around the yard. We had fun climbing those towers when no adults were around.

Another nice 1920's photo of Nechells Park Road, this time looking back toward Bloomsbury Street from Aston Church Road. Just out of sight on the left would have been the not very old Nechells baths and to the right would have been Ernest H Lloyd Beer Retailer which would later become the Villa Tavern.

View attachment 115658
Extreme right of the photo was a grocery shop that Nigel Mansell's mother ran. Further along that line of shops was one run by Harry Evans which was a mix of electrical and hardware goods. My dad caved in to my pestering after I had seen a two-wheeler bike taking up prime position in Evans' window. He paid twenty-five pounds for it and I loved it. I had it for years, a black-framed Phillips Sports with red mudguards and white-walled tyres. I passed my cycling proficiency test on it at Salford rezzer. It underwent a major transformation when a school friend pinched it and stripped it in the hopes that it was unrecognisable. I did know my bike, though, when I saw him on it. He was arrested at Bloomsbury Police Station. I kept the bike for three more years.

I'm no transport buff, but I think it's pretty obvious that this photo taken in 1922 on Nechells Park Road shows one of the first 12 trolleybuses (no11) to operate in the Birmingham area as the Old Square to Nechells was the first route for this type of transport in 1922 and I believe trolleybuses on this route lasted until 1951. As I say I'm not a fan or as buff of public transport but I'm sure we have people with such an interest who will either confirm or debunk what I have said.

Nechells Nechells Park Rd 1922.jpg

Back