• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nechells Park Road

Several threads have been merged into this one on the subject of Nechells Park Road. Therefore there may now be unseen posts on this thread. Viv.

Last edited:
hello barara and welcome...it is always best to use the search box before starting a new thread as chances are we already have one....we have an extensive thread for nechells park road so if you would like to ask your question on that i will then delete this thread... there were many courtyards that had names or were numbered so it may help if you gave the exact address of where your grandparents lived...click on link below to take you to the nechells park road thread

lyn

Hi. Does anyone know where 8 Marton Place Nechells Park Road once was? In 1911 there was an Albert Edward Stanley living there. Many thanks

It doesn't appear to be marked on the 1889 or 1950 map. If you can scroll either way to the next household until you come to an address on Nechells Park Road with a number it would narrow it down.

Alternatively if you are able you could search Marton Place on the ERs to see where it is positioned on Nechells Park Road.

The online electoral rolls do not seem to list it, but the 1921 Kellys shows it as between 28 & 29. The rolls call the houses "back 28". The map below shows them in red.

map 1950s showing marton place.jpg

Hi Frank, are you or any other (Smith or Bromley) family members who lived at, or are linked to 7/24 Nechells Park Road still on this site?
I am married to a Lydia Valencia whose dad was born Harold Smith (in Dudley Road Hospital) to Frances Smith, who lived at 7 back 24, Nechells Park Road. Does anyone have any information on this. Thanks for any help. Regards, Alan Field.

I am trying to research family history. I was born 1931 and lived with my parents at what i understood was my grandparents home at 7/24 nechelles park road. Searching the 1901/11 cencus does not reconise this address. What happend to it.
Hi Frank (or whoever is asking), are you still researching family history lined to 7/23 or 7/24 Nechells Park Road? If so I'm keen to help or be helped with the smith family (Thomas & Ada, daughter Frances) on behalf of my wife. Regards, Alan.

Hi Frank (or whoever is asking), are you still researching family history lined to 7/23 or 7/24 Nechells Park Road? If so I'm keen to help or be helped with the smith family (Thomas & Ada, daughter Frances) on behalf of my wife. Regards, Alan.

It appears that frankbromley hasn't been on the site for a long time so unfortunately unlikely to see your message.

What help are you looking for? Personal memories or just general ancestry/location?

Hi MWS. I was trying to find out the location and any family links with either 7/23 or 7/24 Nechells Park Road. My wife's father was born at 77 Dudley Avenue/Rd in 1929 (which I think from info on this site was a hospital from 1920 to 1948. The birth certificate states 7 Bk 24 Nechells Park Road, but the 1921 Cencus entry (for the same names and family members) states 7/23 NPR. We recently had a DNA match with a lady in Canada (Vancouver Island, BC) whose dad (Joseph W Smith) was born in and lived at 7/24 NPR. So that helped us find more info on Harold Smith (whose mum was the older sister of JW Smith). I know the area has been redeveloped, but the old maps show old buildings very well.

Sorry it's a bit of a Family History request, but we are intrigued by the history of that part of Birmingham (if not the whole city). Many Thanks.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi MWS. I was trying to find out the location and any family links with either 7/23 or 7/24 Nechells Park Road. My wife's father was born at 77 Dudley Avenue/Rd in 1929 (which I think from info on this site was a hospital from 1920 to 1948. The birth certificate states 7 Bk 24 Nechells Park Road, but the 1921 Cencus entry (for the same names and family members) states 7/23 NPR. We recently had a DNA match with a lady in Canada (Vancouver Island, BC) whose dad (Joseph W Smith) was born in and lived at 7/24 NPR. So that helped us find more info on Harold Smith (whose mum was the older sister of JW Smith). I know the area has been redeveloped, but the old maps show old buildings very well.

Sorry it's a bit of a Family History request, but we are intrigued by the history of that part of Birmingham (if not the whole city). Many Thanks.
hi family history as this is a family research topic could you please repost your enquiry under our surname interests of the forum please..i am sure you will receive some help..

lyn

Hi. Does anyone know where 8 Marton Place Nechells Park Road once was? In 1911 there was an Albert Edward Stanley living there. Many thanks
Hi @Em1906
Is this Albert Stanley who dies on 18th Jan 1928? If so please DM me as I have some information on him.

just looking at the top left corner of this map...i wonder why it was called south pole corner

lyn
The question has been asked several times in the local papers, but no0ne seems to have come up with an answer

1706442765487.png

Hello everyone, I am a teacher at St Clements Academy on Butlin Street just off Nechells Park Road. I am trying to find out whereabouts the H Mansell shop shown in this photograph was. I've seen explanations on here saying it is on the corner of Holborn Hill but if that is the case then it would be on the crossroads with Aston Church Road. I've also seen people suggesting that Butlin Street is on the left so the shop would be on the corner of Butlin Street, can anyone confirm this? I'd like to take a photo of what this looks like now so that we can compare the two photographs.

Back