• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nazereth house. Rednal/ surname Hibbard

David Hibbard

knowlegable brummie
I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but I'm trying to find out about my half sister, who I believe was in nazereth house in rednal, in the early 40s. Is there any chance that records would still be kept, about who was there at the time I've mentioned. Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean Margaret J Hibbard, who was mentioned on your other thread.

Do you know that your father had two other children with Sarah Banton? Didn't see them previously as Sarah's name was misspelt on the listings.

Hi, yes I know he had three children, June born 1928, John 1930, Jean 1932. That's the names we have been told. Could Margaret be a middle name, or are we wrong? My mom's diary from 1942, has an entry,,. Miss June Hibbard, c/o nazereth house rednal, so was she there, also the other 2, were they with her, it's all a mystery!!!

Jean's birth was registered as Margaret Jean.

In 1939 John was in Public Assistance Institution in Sharlow.

June Beryl Hibbard was born 1931, married John Johnson in 1950 and died in Kent 2009.

That's amazing, John my half brother never once mentioned anything, about his upbringing, yet he lived with my brother, Stuart for a number of years. So can you please tell me the dates of there birhs , and when you say public assistance, is that in care? Really appreciate this info, thanks again

Hi, I just wanted to say, a big thank you for the info that you sent me.. If you have anymore info, especially about my other half sister, Jean please send to me. But if you have other things to do, and that's all you have on the Hibbards, I do appreciate all of your time and effort. Once again thanks, from the family

There's nothing definite about Jean as far as I can see unfortunately.

There's a marriage for a Margaret J Hibbard (who I can't account for) to a Robert T Rupinski registered Wantage in 1967 but even if it was her (a longshot) there's nothing else about her after that anyway.

Thanks again, for the info. Once you start looking into family history, the more you want, but unfortunately, one answer to a question, opens up more questions, it's a can of worms. But I'll keep looking, and if I find anything, I'll let you know OK. Stan Hibbard my dad's brother, had 2 sons, who still live in longeaton, I'm led to believe, so I'm trying to get hold of them, and see if they have any info, we'll see. Cheers D

HiJean's birth was registered as Margaret Jean.

June Beryl Hibbard was born 1931, married John Johnson in 1950 and died in Kent 2009.

John was born 28 Oct 1929, died 26 Sep 1995. Buried Long Eaton...

Public Assistant Institutions seems to be what they renamed the workhouses in 1930.

Jean's birth was registered as Margaret Jean.

Hi there. Have you anymore information about John vessey Hibbard,. You say he was in Shardlow institution (workhouse) in 1939, do you know for how long. I've been in touch with the record office in matlock, but they tell me that no records exist from the time I'm looking for. Also I've found out so much about nazereth house rednal, from there records in London, but it's not for public viewing. Cheers D

Sorry, no more information. That was where he was at the time when the 1939 register was taken.

Theoretically that could have been the only day he was there. He could have moved in the day before or left the next day, unlikely but possible.

Sorry, no more information. That was where he was at the time when the 1939 register was taken.

Theoretically that could have been the only day he was there. He could have moved in the day before or left the next day, unlikely but possible.
Thanks for the reply., Maybe it might be best to let this go. Based on what I know about my 2 half sisters, at naz house, I've a feeling he could have been there for at least a few yrs, and it's not the best place for a 10yr old, on his own. So once again thank you

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Perhaps of interest to you David.

Margaret Jean Hibbard birth registered June 1928 mmn Banton.

Sarah E Banton married John V Hibbard , 1927

Sarah E Hibbard formerly Banton married Arthur F Rose, 1950, in Spilsby . Lincolnshire

Jean M Hibbard married Jack G Girdlestone 1948, Spilsby ,Lincolnshire.

Keith Girdlestone mmn Hibbard registered 1951 Spilsby , Lincolnshire
Keith Girdlestone is on the electoral roll for Skegness.

I found a 2015 electoral roll of Jean Margaret Girdlestone and Jack G in Skegness.
These are chargable so I can only see the minimum, payment gives the full address.

Last edited:
Back