• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Navigation Inn Erdington

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
I'm looking for an old photo of the Navigation pub (The Navi)Tyburn road Erdington.
Happy days going there to get me comics and trotch (sweets) off me Dad.:)

Hi Frothblower, the Navigation pub is another that has been turned into a Chinese Restaurant, I haven't been, but have heard good reports on the food.

Thanks sylviasayers.
Yes I know about it changing, I pass it every day. It just that I've never seen an old photo of the place.
At lest it's still standing, not like the fate of other pubs.

Hi Frothblower, the Navigation pub is another that has been turned into a Chinese Restaurant, I haven't been, but have heard good reports on the food.

Hi Sylvia, yes, it's a Chinese Restaurant now, Buffet Island, and I can confirm that the food is very good indeed.

I can particularly commend the barman. Last time I was in there I ordered a round of twelve drinks to be consumed whilst waiting for our table. A while later my brother in law went to the bar and asked for the "same again". Unfazed, not only did the barman remember the drinks, he remembered which was for each of us. I'm impressed by that sort of service.

Ian

Last edited:
Frothblower is this the one you want. I know its been a long wait.

Phil

Attachments

• Erdington Navigation Bromford Lane  .jpg
    Erdington Navigation Bromford Lane .jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 55
Erdington Bromford Navigation Inn.JPG
Thanks for that Phil, I lived just down the road from there as a child. Here's a drawing of what is supposed to be the Navi although Frothy doesn't think it is. I suggested it's a "plan" prior to building and so certain details may have been changed when it came to actually putting it up.:)

Wonderful drawing from the Building News, love the fat,pinaford figure(presumably the licensee) standing in the doorway, magic.

Wonderful drawing from the Building News, love the fat,pinaford figure(presumably the licensee) standing in the doorway, magic.

Thanks Phil, Just what I wanted.
It funny, I look at that building and think what a lovely building.Going there as a kid on Sunday afternoons,I did'nt give the place a second glance. All I wanted was me sweets and comics off me Dad.It was his second home:)

I ruined my new boots in the Navigation, mind you it was my own fault through being greedy.

I ruined my new boots in the Navigation, mind you it was my own fault through being greedy.

Ann, hey, once a village girl......always a village girl. Persuade Colin that you need new ones........and try to avoid wading in the buffet section:)

Ian:rolleyes:

Welder it wasn,t the buffet i was guzzling down, something a bit more liquid.
You can take the girl out of the village, but you will never take the village out of the girl

Isn't the 'drawing' the old Navigation pub, which was the other side of the canal before Tyburn Road was built?

Lloyd, I never thought of that. The only problem is that what I remember from my Grandad who lived a few doors down was that it was quite small compared to the "new" one.
I stand to be corrected though.

Here's another old and well loved Erdington pub...The Navigation
Now a chinese restaurant...Buffet Island.
but at least it's still standing.
Brian

Attachments

• 1[1].jpg
    1[1].jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 24
Here's another old and well loved Erdington pub...The Navigation
Now a chinese restaurant...Buffet Island.
but at least it's still standing.
Brian
hi Brian to the left of these pictures there was a round building dont know what it was always throught it was for horses wonder if you know?Best Wishes Roger:)

hi Brian to the left of these pictures there was a round building dont know what it was always throught it was for horses wonder if you know?Best Wishes Roger:)

Hi Roger, the building you refer to was in fact to the right of the picture, it is still there but only the walls remain. ( will get a picture later)
I have heard some strange stories of what some people thought it was.
but it was only a very regal kind of summer house with pointed roof and bench seating around the inside and opening out on to what was then, the gardens.
I've spent some hours in there as a youngster waiting for my parents to come out, it was their local. Brian

Does anyone knowb what the odd building in the car park is? It's almost circular, I presume it used to be some kind of storage outhouse.

Got a bit confused looking for the round building, as i hadn't realised that sometime between the wars the pub had been resited the opposite side of the canal. On the c1952 map, the building is marked as "shelter", and so presumably is a relic of WW2 which has not been demolished
mike

mapc1952Thenavigationinn.jpg

Back