• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Trust Back To Backs Inge Street

I'm sure that is correct. Similarly , in another section, they used a lot of shots from Beamish to illustrate shops and streets. It is just that, in factual programs, I think it would be useful to mention where a place is, as otherwise it could be confusing to viewers

must visit the back to backs again this year while i can still just about get up the steep narrow stairs

lyn

Is anyone able to help me figure out the street numbering on Inge Street and Hurst Street? It's quite confusing. I know that the houses were renumbered between 1883 and 1900, but what did the before and after numbering look like? 28 Hurst Street became 63 Hurst Street is as much as I know. Does anyone have access to maps that demonstrate both numbering systems? I'm looking for the numbering system between 1841-1881, and then how it changed by 1901.

Abigail
There are no maps that show earlier numbering, but the reason that , in this case, the houses were renumbered in hurst St was that hurst St and Lower Hurst st were combined into Hurst St in around 1898 (between the 1897 and 1899 Kellys directories) If there are any particular numbers you are interested in, I can probably work out the equivalent before and after from directories

john i love the back to backs...its just pity that compered to the black country museum this is all birmingham has to offer....moan over :mad:

lyn

Abigail
There are no maps that show earlier numbering, but the reason that , in this case, the houses were renumbered in hurst St was that hurst St and Lower Hurst st were combined into Hurst St in around 1898 (between the 1897 and 1899 Kellys directories) If there are any particular numbers you are interested in, I can probably work out the equivalent before and after from directories

Hi Mike,

Thank you! I have a couple of requests that would be great to know. I have attached what I have worked out so far, based off the national trust map, with black pen being the new numbers and pencil being the old, with past residents being circled in a blue box.
IMG_9126.jpeg

1) Where is 53 Inge Street? If it is next door to 50 Inge Street, then what happened to number 52?
2) Mathew Oldfield lived at 5 Court 13 Inge Street, would you be able to point out where that is to me?

Thanks again.

Abigail
Tthe whole, matter is somewhat confusing, more so than you have probably realised, I do not know if your numbering of Inge st came from the c1950 OS version on the old maps site. But I show it here. As you can see, the numbering is the same.
map c1951 showing back to backs area.jpg

However, directories over 100 years show no 54 as being the Fox Inn, on the other side of Hurst St. Below are examples from 1872,1950 and 1973 (1973 being the last Kellys published for Birmingham

Kellys Inge St 1897.jpgKellys Inge st 1950.jpgKellys Inge St 1973.jpg

The OS maps are very reliable for actual position and shape of buildings and areas, but I have found on a previous occasion an error in numbering. Kellys also have errors, but I think consistency over three samples in 100 years gives them the edge.
I think good confirmation is from the electoral rolls #9in this case from 1920, where court 15 is between nos 52 and 53

inge st.1920.50.jpginge st.1920.58.jpg

Therefore I have added to your plan in red what ?I believe to be the correct numbers for Inge St. Below also is a map c1889 where I show court 13 in green.
Ignore the other court in red. I am having trouble with the old maps site (I suspect with the lockdown they are having a very large demand which is causing it) and have used a previoues map I had for another purpose.

back to backs modified.jpegmapc1889 showing around back to backs and court 13.jpg

Therefore I have added to your plan in red what ?I believe to be the correct numbers for Inge St. Below also is a map c1889 where I show court 13 in green.
Ignore the other court in red. I am having trouble with the old maps site (I suspect with the lockdown they are having a very large demand which is causing it) and have used a previoues map I had for another purpose.

View attachment 143720View attachment 143721

Thank you, Mike - this has been incredibly helpful for my research!

Back