• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Trust Back To Backs Inge Street

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
This was a tape recording that is in the Hurst Street back to backs, told by a man who in 1935 was thirteen years old.

His mother had no money, and went to a tribunal to be 'means tested', which was enough to put fear into the stoutest of hearts. She took all of her nine children with her, and was asked how long had she been without money, 'Six weeks'. Are you married? 'Yes'. Where's your wedding ring?
'At the pawn shop'. Have you got the ticket? She said she had, and produced it. She was told that she would get a visit the following week, as they must see how she was living. When she got home anything of any value was taken to a neighbour, but the tribunal felt she had too much in the way of household goods. They left just enough to enable the family to eat off and cook with, also taking a bed as they said the four girls could sleep together. When everything was sold the sum of £16 was raised, the family were given £13 and told they must manage with that for twelve
weeks. The boy of thirteen was told he must find work, which he did. He found a job and worked for 54 hours a week.

:D Di I remember even in the early 50's going with mom to see what was then known as 'The Panel' armed with heaps of paper and information about our family and having to prove that Dad was registered as Blind and that my brother and sister attended a school for children with poor vision. We also had visits from a chap about once every two weeks. He used to frighten me to death, he would bellow questions at mom and even ask me things like “Where’s your father?” “How many sisters do you have and how many brothers?” “ Where are your toy’s?” I wasn’t even 5yrs old, but was expected to answer and the answers were always the same “He’s at the blind place”. ”‘Our Ken, our laine “ “Ain’t got none”. We had nothing to hide, because we had nothing back then.

Pom I wanted to cry when I listened to the recording yesterday, and as late as the 50's you were in the same boat. Life deals out slings and arrows, and you don't need my tears because you all came through a really tough time.

the national trust back to backs are in the short list for the gulbekian prize for museum of the year. Last four will be announced in March with the winner in May.KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR THEM!!

Lovely news ken.

I nipped to the site........to view the opposition......its a tough call.

https://www.thegulbenkianprize.org.uk/2005/shortlist.htm

But remember, its not only the restoration of the properties that may win you the prize, its the restoration of the memories, which the tour guides are excellent at recapturing.

I wish you well - if the back to backs win ken - is it drinks on you? :alcoholic:

Getting our backs up

Personally I'd knock 'em down and build a nicy shiny new car park...we dont have enough car parks.. 8)

You know Sue, thats perhaps something I hadn't really thought of. Ive not been what you might call a fan of restoration, and I was critical of the back to back project..I still have some doubts! But I have to accept what you say regarding the restoration of memories, a good point well made. I do of course wish all those who have worked hard on that project, the very best of luck!!

back to back and Gulbenkian prize

the organizers are asking visitors to tell them what they think about the museums that have been shortlisted Up to now this has had to be via their web site. -www.thegulbenkianprize.org.uk

We have now got an address The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation
UK Branch
98 Portland Place
London W1B 1ET

So if you have been yourself or know any of the 22000 visitors we have had try to persuade them to send their comments by either method by May 2005
Its not a vote but it will obviously help Birmingham to alleviate some of the disappointment felt by other news this week!!

I have just discovered that my ancestors lived in CT 1 House 3 Inge Street in late Victorian times and by the turn of the century had moved to 52, Back Inge Street.

Does anyone know how far away this might have been from the National Trust Back to Backs which are at the junction of Inge Street and Hurst Street?

Any photos of the period appreciated.

thanks and best wishes, Dave

Dave
they were almost opposite, as can be seen below (court 1 in red, court 15 (Nat Trust court) in green

map c 1889 showing court 1 Inge st and court 15 ( Nat trust court).jpg

Mike,
I would like to know where 2/29 Inge Street was, if you could help. My father was born there in November 1914.

Bob

Dave
they were almost opposite, as can be seen below (court 1 in red, court 15 (Nat Trust court) in green

View attachment 115412
Mike thats great, can I just ask you a question, I can see the red area but also what appears to be Court 1 in white next to it, separated by a wall I think.
Were both sides of the wall Court 1? Also I am guessing that they would have accessed the Court through the entries which seem to shaded with a X? Thanks for your help. Dave

Bob
Below is a map c 1889 showing definitely known numbers in blue. This indicates that no 29 is one of the two buildings in red, though , on the map I can see no evidence of back houses. The map for 1905 seems similar, but there seems to be a space in front of a row including 29, with buildings behind. Maybe it was one of those. Cannot find the address on the 1912 electroal rolls, but not everyone (especially not women) were included then

map c 1889 inge st showing known numbers in blue.jpg map c 1905 showing what might be back 29.jpg

Dave,
The unshaded court 1 you are referring to was court 1 Hurst St, whereas the court I have coloured is court 1 Inge St. I agree it is confusing. The entries shown shaded with an X were covered entries, where the building was built over the entry (sort of a tunnel)

thanks Mike, I can see that now. It will make my next trip to the back to backs a little more interesting!

Dave

Back