• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Service

It is amazing how your 11 year exams and what you chose, could affect your whole life those days. Because I went to Moseley School of art and worked for Bill Bloye the sculptor, when I joined the RAF they did not know what to do with me? I ended up as a batman to a sports officer and worked in the officers mess. BUT I did get to ride my bike a lot otherwise it was a complete waste of two years of my life. Have to chuckle, reading what some chaps ended up doing, going allover the world

Hi John,

Yes, but when I did mine a few years ago, it cost £30 and it arrived as 2 x A3 pages in colour. The Records Office was I think in Glasgow, but I'm sure ChrisM will have up-to-date information. They're not particularly fast, but you should see something in a month to six weeks.

Maurice :)

Last edited:
John,

I'm sure this is already on this long thread somewhere, but I was looking for some sort of clerical job from the RAF, so in my six possible choices, I listed all clerical jobs with the sixth one being a statistics clerk. The officer went through number 1 to 5 and said "no vacancies" to each and then asked if I had a degree in statistics. Now most people do statistics as part of an HND or degree in business studies, computing or maths, as on it's own it is little more than a one term study. I replied, "Of course not' and then he started asking about my hobbies and interests - radio, electronics, photography, music, etc. "Right, Airborne Wireless Mechanic it is then".

I, like most in my flight, volunteered to serve abroad, and not one of us got the chance. We heard later that many of the previous flight wanted to stay in the UK and all bar two were sent abroad. It was largely one big sham.

Maurice :)

Some crease in the left trouser leg. Interestingly enough, some Lee Enfield rifles were made by BSA at a specially built factory in Shirley. It is also interesting to see that the much maligned Lee Enfield is now receiving rave reviews as a fine weapon. What was the cap badge?

Bob

This was next trial was being "Squadded" and being issued with your kit and assigned to a Trained Soldier (some brutal and sadistic) on how to bring your kit up to standard for which you had to buy your own cleaning materials Blanco, Blue Bell, Kiwi and a yellow duster. Screenshot_20200325-213703_Photos.jpg

The so called "Shining Parade" burning the pimples off you boots with a red hot spoon handle. The worst job was decreasing and cleaning your Le Enfield Rifle and ironing creases in your Battle Dress with brown paper and soap on the inside. Screenshot_20200325-214953_Photos.jpg

Then the dreaded "Square Bashing" started under a Squad Instructor usually a L/Sgt who "rifted" us mercifully if you survived a 4 week inspection without being Back Squadded you went on to 8weeks and then the final 12 weeks with the ever threat of being Back Squadded. If you passed muster you went to Pirbright and the Yorkshire Moors for Battle Training buts that's another story.Screenshot_20200325-220024_Photos.jpg

I am too young to have seen National Service, but had three friends that did. One thing that struck me was that they were all very neat and well-organised.

All three were in different regiments but were in Suez at the same time.

Back