• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Service

I'm just coming back on parade in case Dave has us on 'jankers'...

I remember one little episode in my 3rd week of National Service, but it would probably only be understood by anyone who had suddenly found themselves subject to Military Laws, Queen's Regulations etc, and Drill Instructor Corporals having total control over our lives.
We were in the billet one night busily 'bulling' our kit, pasting the blanco, hot spooning the pimples off boots, duraglit and brasso, when a DI Corporal burst in and yelled at us to stand to attention by our beds.
We dropped everything and scrambled to stand by our beds, the DI started to walk along the billet telling us we were the lowest form of life etc, when one recruit suddenly jumped on him and wrestled him to the floor !
Oh Dear, we were all shocked and fearful of the consequences, but the guy who had jumped on the Corporal had recognised him as an imposter. One of lads from the next billet had put on a Corporal's uniform and came in and had some fun with us !
Just to remind me of those times, a pic of our DI's - they used to modify their caps - the one on the right was a 'nightmare' !

normal_DI_Corporals.jpg

oldMohawk,
You always get the one who is out to get you, at Barton Stacey our L/Cpl was a lot shorter than I and I knew I was in for it, he was frustrated because he could not spit in my face when he was having a go at me for nothing in particular,I was too high off the ground he was so short and had a inferiority complex about his height. It's a wonder he did not have a heart attack as he would get wound up over the slightest thing, we had our own back when we passed out and won the best platoon. Because of the celebrations he cleared off down to Andover because he knew we were after him, all our training was over and we were on hold. His kit was thrown to the four corners of the billet and he did not have a bed to sleep on, a horrible little person!!!.
Dave

Can I suggest that if any reader of these pages wants a smile about National Service, then the book to read is "Brasso, Blanco and Bull" by Tony Thorne. It is published by Rogerson Press, Military Humour Section. Some may smile, those who did it may find that it simply takes them back in time a little, then of course it's just as it was....

Last edited:
Can I suggest that if any reader of these pages wants a smile about National Service, then the book to read is "Brasso, Blanco and Bull" by Tony Thorne. It is published by Rogerson Press, Military Humour Section. Some may smile, those who did may find that it takes them back in time a little but then of course it's just as it was....

Where Weoley castle do you come from John??. Theres another book, (The Best Years of their lives), by Trevor Royal, 1986, published by Micheal Joseph.
paul

Hello Paul,

I have read lots of your posts but I do not think I know you. The only time I had to go to St Rose of Lime School, was with my Dad when he was in the A.R.P. during the WW2. That was the local centre. He was doing his bit after being wounded and losing an arm in 1916 at the battle on the Somme.

I attach a couple of pictures taken from our front bedroom window about the time I was born. We were two or three hundred yards from Shenley Lane in Shenley Fields Road. As you can see we enjoyed views over open countryside in those days.
Cows in Shenleyfields Road.jpgs.jpg

Hi Dennis you mentioning Palestine 1945/48 my uncle got killed in Palestine between 1945/48 his name was Jim Clarke Iwent to Arboretium found Jims name on one of the memorial walls.
all the best .Richard

Eddie i remember when i got demobed iwas sent to some barracks in Cumberland on a first aid and stretcher course can't remember the name
the place, but i did get demobed six weeks before my n/s time.which i thought was great

Richard, did you not have a long interview with an officer who would ask you what you did in civvy street?.I did and at that point he made a decision and asked me if I was satisfied with the R.E.M.E. He also put me down for W.O.S.B.which I did not know what that was until later and I did not want to be an officer, it stood for war office selection board. I had to decline but that is a long story.
Dave

They were still doing those "first aid & stretcher", courses in the early sixty's, you had to go for four weeks to, "RAMC,Keogh Barracks", Mitcham Aldershot.
paul

Hi Eddie can't remember how long my interview was but nothing was mentioned which army service i be in only ffound out when i arrived at the training camp
Regards Richard

Hiya Paul thanks commenting on my thread i really enjoyed my last few weeks up in Cumberland on the first aid and stretcher course.anyway got me away from doing all them chores at my last camp and a earlier demob by six weeks
Richard

Hi Alberta i remember whenever i had a 36 or 48 hour pass i used to get a lift off a driver who used deliver the sauces from HP every Friday.
and he once asked if i could drive a truck.once or twice i drove his truck for him to Birmingham and he would get some sleep.
Regards Richard

Hi Richard, yep me too, I seemed to live between, fire piquet, guard, and jankers, being at the Guards Depot, was horrendus, and the relaxed pace at the RAMC depot was heaven.
paul

hello Paul .I was always getting into trouble.remember one morning waking up with a Cypriot Lance jack balling down my ear
i sat and gave him punch. it didn't take long to be marched to hq they seven detension.it must ofdone some good he never bawled down my ear again.
Cheers mate

Richard,
The interview took place at Blandford when I was already in the R.E.M.E, that related to what craft I was suitable for.
As regards which regiment, that was decided when I went for my medical I think in Broad St. because the camp was a R.E.M.E. camp at Blandford, there could have been other Regs for all I can remember.
Dave

Having been less than keen upon receiving call up for National Service and then completing two years with the Army I am with the guy's that on reflection saw this period in their lives as a positive time and well worth experiencing .

Hi Roy, I have not been on this site for a few months as unfortunately only a few of us were adding to it and I got the impression that the stories had run out. Far from it in my case but I felt that that some of the lads wanted a change. Also I have been suffering with a leg ulcer for the past 3 months and I have not been able to get around.
I agree with you about the learning curve but it was the silly things that were a pain, Cutting grass with a pen knife after jabs, it would have been better doing P.T but thats how some of the N.C.O.s thought. Another one,painting the stacked coal white to denote the edge of the pile and mostly before C.Os inspection but usually war office inspection.
Dave

Back