• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

National Service

I've just had a look and notice I've put 49 posts in the NS thread. I was only in the RAF for two years and try to avoid repeating myself - not totally sucessful I have to say !
Maybe you had to have been in the services to understand the humour, not everyone wants to know how to make bread pudding RAF cookhouse style etc - here I go again repeating.
So I look at the forum and enjoy new photos of Chamberlain Square - and new photos of Brookvale Park - lots to interest me...:encouragement:

My Husband did National Service, he sent for his Veteran Badge, which we are proud of, and also for his service papers. He often tells me little stories such as when they had to carry some stew and some rice pudding in some sort of two tier metal thing, they dropped it and it got mixed together when it rolled down a hill!!
He also did an advanced maths course in addition to his training as Radio Technician (Light).
He's older than I am, but I'm not bored by the "tales"!!!
rosie.

Rosie,
Everything went in one mess tin, that's why it was called a mess tin, your salad starter, dinner and your sweet, when you think about it that is what happens when you have eaten it all. You watch this space there will be other mixed dinners from the N/S lads now you have mentioned it.
I did not know you could send for your army records just like that.

Dave

Eddie 14, You can get your army records simply by applying for them, but be aware, I've had mine last year and they only tell half the story.
A lot of information is not on my papers.
I did recontact the office concerned, but they chose to ignore my request for further details.

Austin K2

Eddie, as Austin says you don't get everything and it takes many months, but we were glad to have them and there is no charge if it's for yourself or a living relative.
Tried to put a link but it seems it's changed, sorry.
rosie.

Eddie, as Austin says you don't get everything and it takes many months, but we were glad to have them and there is no charge if it's for yourself or a living relative.
rosie.

hi rosie is that the national service records you are talking about..if so i would love to get my dads records..wonder if you have the address to send to for them please..

many thanks

lyn

Am I correct in thinking if you did not wish to serve in the forces you could go down the mines instead (known as 'Bevin boys')? Eric

rosie.

I must say Rosie, when we sent off for my wife's Father's records we had to pay £35.
When the records did come they were a bit of a shambles, to be honest, if I wasn't ex-army myself most of the army terminology, unit titles, etc would've been incomprehensible to her.

I was never more pleased a few years ago when the National Servicemen and women were honoured with their own medal, long overdue and greatly deserved, now together with the BAOR and other sundry medals they make a fine show onb the 11th.
paul

I was never more pleased a few years ago when the National Servicemen and women were honoured with their own medal, long overdue and greatly deserved, now together with the BAOR and other sundry medals they make a fine show onb the 11th.
paul
Ah yes, the National Service Medal.
I'm saving up for the First in the NAAFI Queue at Kinmel Park Camp Medal,
it should go well with my I Heard a Shot Fired in Anger Medal !

I have to disagree with, #714, I was lucky I volenteered, and could choose what and when I did, 1000's couldn't, I knew quite a few in Ireland who never saw a terrorist or was"under fire", and I knew a few NS men who not only saw active service, but were injured on campaign service for the crown, with little or no compensation or recognition, "if you got some in", then in my opinion you deserved a gong. !!!!!!
paul

Hi lyn, I deleted my link as it didn't seem to work but oldMohawk re-posted it. You can follow the links on the main page. We used the National Service one, and it was free as he's still "with us"! I think sometimes it's chargeable depending on whether the the person is next-of-kin, and/or still living. Be prepared for a long wait though!!
rosie.

Thanks for re-posting for me oldMohawk!!

We were talking this morning about webbing and Blanco!! Apparently all the old Blanco from the previous owner had to be scrubbed off in the sink and then replaced perfectly.

I bought him a "button stick" from a junk-stall to show the Grandchildren.

rosie.

HI ALL
The thing i remember about my N/S was the build up to going in. You had all of them guys that had done thers
or had a bit of service in,telling you what you were in for. Just to frighten you to death.
Iwas due to report to Portsmouth at Hllsea barracks on 4/3 /1954. On the day before i decided to relax at the cinema
Into town i went to the Odeon, and the film FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, i can tell you i did not get much sleep that night.
It turned out alright in the end
KEN

I'm just coming back on parade in case Dave has us on 'jankers'...

I remember one little episode in my 3rd week of National Service, but it would probably only be understood by anyone who had suddenly found themselves subject to Military Laws, Queen's Regulations etc, and Drill Instructor Corporals having total control over our lives.
We were in the billet one night busily 'bulling' our kit, pasting the blanco, hot spooning the pimples off boots, duraglit and brasso, when a DI Corporal burst in and yelled at us to stand to attention by our beds.
We dropped everything and scrambled to stand by our beds, the DI started to walk along the billet telling us we were the lowest form of life etc, when one recruit suddenly jumped on him and wrestled him to the floor !
Oh Dear, we were all shocked and fearful of the consequences, but the guy who had jumped on the Corporal had recognised him as an imposter. One of lads from the next billet had put on a Corporal's uniform and came in and had some fun with us !
Just to remind me of those times, a pic of our DI's - they used to modify their caps - the one on the right was a 'nightmare' !

normal_DI_Corporals.jpg

oldMohawk,
You always get the one who is out to get you, at Barton Stacey our L/Cpl was a lot shorter than I and I knew I was in for it, he was frustrated because he could not spit in my face when he was having a go at me for nothing in particular,I was too high off the ground he was so short and had a inferiority complex about his height. It's a wonder he did not have a heart attack as he would get wound up over the slightest thing, we had our own back when we passed out and won the best platoon. Because of the celebrations he cleared off down to Andover because he knew we were after him, all our training was over and we were on hold. His kit was thrown to the four corners of the billet and he did not have a bed to sleep on, a horrible little person!!!.
Dave

Can I suggest that if any reader of these pages wants a smile about National Service, then the book to read is "Brasso, Blanco and Bull" by Tony Thorne. It is published by Rogerson Press, Military Humour Section. Some may smile, those who did it may find that it simply takes them back in time a little, then of course it's just as it was....

Last edited:
Can I suggest that if any reader of these pages wants a smile about National Service, then the book to read is "Brasso, Blanco and Bull" by Tony Thorne. It is published by Rogerson Press, Military Humour Section. Some may smile, those who did may find that it takes them back in time a little but then of course it's just as it was....

Where Weoley castle do you come from John??. Theres another book, (The Best Years of their lives), by Trevor Royal, 1986, published by Micheal Joseph.
paul

Hello Paul,

I have read lots of your posts but I do not think I know you. The only time I had to go to St Rose of Lime School, was with my Dad when he was in the A.R.P. during the WW2. That was the local centre. He was doing his bit after being wounded and losing an arm in 1916 at the battle on the Somme.

I attach a couple of pictures taken from our front bedroom window about the time I was born. We were two or three hundred yards from Shenley Lane in Shenley Fields Road. As you can see we enjoyed views over open countryside in those days.
Cows in Shenleyfields Road.jpgs.jpg

Hi Dennis you mentioning Palestine 1945/48 my uncle got killed in Palestine between 1945/48 his name was Jim Clarke Iwent to Arboretium found Jims name on one of the memorial walls.
all the best .Richard

Eddie i remember when i got demobed iwas sent to some barracks in Cumberland on a first aid and stretcher course can't remember the name
the place, but i did get demobed six weeks before my n/s time.which i thought was great

Richard, did you not have a long interview with an officer who would ask you what you did in civvy street?.I did and at that point he made a decision and asked me if I was satisfied with the R.E.M.E. He also put me down for W.O.S.B.which I did not know what that was until later and I did not want to be an officer, it stood for war office selection board. I had to decline but that is a long story.
Dave

Back