• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Service

Bernard,
It was me who said that there were not many navy lads on the coach from Bham to Gosport, they used to catch the Ferry across to Portsmouth from Gosport.
Dave

My brother-in-law was in the Navy on National Service and served on HMS Bulwark in the Suez invasion - I previously mentioned it here

A mate of mine joined the navy in the early sixties.

For a long time he seemed to be stuck in Portsmouth. I used to joke that I had more sea miles in than him, going from Harwich to the Hook of Holland.

Then he joined Bulwark and went around the world, Japan, all that.

Boy was I jealous !

Eddie 14 the name Ron Mathewson does not ring a Bell either, off course this is 60 years ago and at 81yo my memory is not 100 %, have looked through my Albums and cannot see that name on any of my pics. Eric

Baz, one point which has never, I don't think, been discussed is did any anybody have the choice what service and Regt they went in to do N/S.

Dave

Eddie 14 thats an interesting question. I think apart from the 3 services there was also a period when you had the option of going down the coal mines as a 'Bevin boy, instead, does any one remember that? I also believe if you were a member of the Army or Navy cadets or Air Training Corps you were likely to be called up to the appropiate service, am I right. Personally I was a Regular (June 1948 to June 1956) so it did not apply in my case. I do know that the Army had most of the conscripts. Eric

Last edited:
I was N/S and seem to remember you could state a preference. I was in the Air Training Corps in my early teens so I think that got me into the RAF which was my preference. The 315 in my RAF service number 3150438 identified that I had been in the ATC.​

I also spent 2 years in the ATC ( 157 Sqdn Margeret St) and my service no. was 3504465, but I think the 350 merely indicated I was a 'regular' Eric

Interesting!!. I cannot remember when I went for my initial check-up whether I was asked then which unit I wanted to join but I was asked at some point and I chose the R.E.M.E because I was very interested in engineering. I know when I was at Blandford the first two weeks I was asked what I did in civvy st and if I played sport or played the Piano, which I did,(I never volunteered for that one) the Officer questioned me for quite a time and said "I am putting you down for W.A.S.B" I had not a clue what that was and I did not want to sound ignorant so I said Thank you and left his Office. Only when I got to Barton Stacy did I find out what it was, that is another story for later.
Dave

Eric,
Bevin boys 1948, last year at school we went on a day trip to London and there was a big gathering in Hyde Park at speakers corner of the miners all blacked up as well, happy school days!!!

Dave

Yesterday, I was trying to remember my 'demob' day from RAF Topcliffe in Yorkshire, and how I must have felt travelling down by train with my kit bag. All I can remember however, was arriving in my parents house, opening the loft trapdoor and throwing the unopened kit bag through it. I did not look at it again until about 10 years later when my parents wanted the loft insulated. I told them to dump the kit bag and contents except for my best blue hat which I still have.
oldmohawk

What has happened here nobody got anything to say.
Demob, I remember the morning I left Devises, I was outside waiting for the bus to Swindon and I looked at the Camp and thought "What the hell am I doing out here, all my friends are in there and I am leaving them". I was thinking that when I got home the house would be deserted because all the family went out to work and I would be all on my Jack Jones. This did happen and I felt very lonely for the first two weeks until I went back to work but it did feel strange not being with a billet of lads I could talk to."Did any of you lads feel the same?
Dave

I think anyone, who has served in any arm of the military, will say the same thing Dave, the camaraderie and the fact that (we were all in the same boat), in the beginning although a competitive environment, you have to all learn to work as a team or it goes pear shaped very quickly. Because of this we servicemen put up with a lot and got by but got used to working with other people and sorely missed that, and of course your best mate's of say 2 years or more, still do and will always I think.
paul

The exception of course being married families, I was married Dec 1952 by special licence and a week later was on my way to Hong Kong ( Kai Tak which we shared with civilian airlines) I was in normal Station accommodation for 2 months until my Wife joined me in HK, we then shared a private apartment at Observatory Crescent, Kowloon with a young Army couple (as rents are very high in HK) who we got on very well with. 14 months later our names appeared at the top of the married quarters list - in RAF Seletar Singapore 1600 miles away but it was a new 2 bedroom bungalow (9 Lancaster Gate, all the roads had London names) its only draw back it was only 100 yards from end of runway so was somewhat noisy, especially with a squadron of Buccaneers, I was a wireless op on Sunderlands of 205/209 Sqdn so we did not cause any noise, being on water !!, we were there for 15 months and my daughter was born their in Changi hospital. Incidently I went on Google earth and boththe airfield AND married quarters with the same Road names still remain almost 60 years later !! Eric

Last edited:
I remember being told by the Military Police that the "Married Quarters", at Nee soon camp were worse than Boogie Street, and that a packet of OMO in the kitchen window meant "Old man out" , wether true or not never found out.
paul

I think anyone, who has served in any arm of the military, will say the same thing Dave, the camaraderie and the fact that (we were all in the same boat), in the beginning although a competitive environment, you have to all learn to work as a team or it goes pear shaped very quickly. Because of this we servicemen put up with a lot and got by but got used to working with other people and sorely missed that, and of course your best mate's of say 2 years or more, still do and will always I think.
paul

I agree Paul. When I rejoined the army and went into the Queens Own Hussars I didn't know a soul (well, I did recognise a REME fitter), but I was able to fit in very quickly. It was all to do with shared experiences and knowing where you stood in the Pecking Order, thanks to the rank structure.
Even nowadays I find it easy to talk to other ex-army veterans, even though I've never met them before.

I remember when I joined the army I was ordered to report to Hereford for training. To me Hereford was somewhere on the other side of the world, we weren't well travelled in the mid-fifties and going there was exciting.
Having been stuck in a barrack room overnight I was surrounded by kids with accents I'd never heard before in my life, like Geordies, Scousers, Jocks there was even a kid from Belfast but nobody understood him !
Looking back, we were physically tough in those days but knew very little about the world. Needless to say, the army soon changed that.

Hi lads, been very busy renovating the Daughters horse trailer and have been kn-----ed in the evenings but, another little story. I hope everyone is o.k
One day the retired T.A Major at Devises who was in charge of the M.T and the tanks that the hussars used came into the armoury to see me, a very nice down to earth person who had come up through the ranks and acted more like a friend than an officer."Corporal Edwards I'm in the s--t we have had an accident with the B.A.T over Salisbury Plains on night exercise,it looks bad" "Will you come down to the M.T sheds and have a look, I have cleared it with your C.O and he said O.K". We walked down to the M.T and up the corner under a camouflage net was the rocket firing B.A.T absolutely covered in mud and grass, it had turned over on its back in the night when being pulled by the tank and nobody realized. This is muzzle towed and on the barrel are two pins which are supposed to restrict the angle that the carriage can rotate, one had broken and allowed the unit to turn Turtle. A good hose down and sent off to workshops at Warminster, three days later back to camp all repaired. Major Olds was a very worried man thinking the whole unit was scrap and was pleased when I happened to mention that this was a fault with this unit as many others had happened to have turned over as well. We used to have EMERS posted to the camp which contained all the info, it was like a magazine issued by the R.E.M.E which showed all the mods which had to be done to weapons.
Any body else had similar happenings?
Dave

Hi Dave. Did you ever come across a "Wombat" antitank in your time or was it after, I could tell you some hilarious stories, about this particular weapon.
Hope your keeping well .
Paul

I'm all ears Paul, that weapon was after I did my stint I think, I was from 54-56. I never told you about the Ack-Pac flame thrower, that was a fiasco. We were on the ranges on the Beach on the Solent in the depth of a freezing day of 54, we all had a go at firing this lethal human Barbecue. Basically you have a aluminium container on your back in the shape of a inner tube about 2ft diam full of petroleum jelly at 2000lbs/sq in, from that comes a tube to a pistol which fires a cartridge ever time you pull the trigger which ignites the petrol jelly and a short burst travels to the target. The target were some old oil barrels on the Beach, it was that bloody cold the jelly would not ignite so the Officer lit the target which was about 20 odd yards away, you can see what is coming now, the flame travelled back towards the pistol from the target, that was frightening to see this mass of flame coming back at you, at that point you had to remember to only do short bursts so the flame did not reach you. I tell you one thing it warmed us up on a cold winters day.

Dave

Back