• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Memorial Arboretum

My Maternal Grandfather, Constable George Adam, R I C, is on the Police Roll of Honour, and is commemorated on this memorial, shot in the back at 11.58am, on the Main Street, Edenderry, County Kildare, on the 17th July 1921, he died in Glasgow in Sept 1922, from the wounds he received, he was a paraplegic, was unarmed, The University of Dublin sent us a letter in 2012 which states he was possibly the last British Casualty, of the Irish War for Independence, as the treaty twix The Free State and GB, was signed at 12 pm. He was a Scotsman who married my Grandmother Lilly O' Brien, and had served in the Black Watch, wounded at Loo's 1916, wounded at Passchendaele, 1918, discharged with a pension and Kings Silver Badge, Volunteered in 1920 for the Irish Police Service, buried on his 26th birthday.

Back