• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Memorial Arboretum

Charlie

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
A wonderful new memorial carved by Ian Rank-Broadley will be unveiled by The Queen at the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Nr Lichfield on October 12th.
The statue shows soldiers bearing a comrade on a stretcher, with a grieving woman and child kneeling ready to receive him.
Made in Portland Stone it bears the names of 16,000 servicemen and women killed on duty since the Second World War.
The memorial looking very impressive and, according to the Daily Mail, members of the public can apply to attend the dedication on Oct. 12th, an application form can be downloaded at www.forcesmemorial.org.uk
Applications must be received by Friday 28th September and tickets are free but limited to 2,000.

Hi wendy
thanks for the photo's, it looks brilliant even in the wet. I will definately visit this summer,to remember my mates from Aden 64/65,(6), NI 70/91 (7). To all the brave men and women of our armed forces killed on campaign service in the defence of the realm. Not to forget the many more maimed and wounded doing this crucial desperate work, including my own son in the airborne.
regards paul stacey.

I would recomend the guided train trip as it explains a lot about the different memorials. You can then explore yourself.:)

#10 first photo. I forgot to say I found this very sad too as you can place a smooth stone either painted or with a loved ones name on who has passed away. There were quite a few with childrens names and ages on. Some had flowers painted on them. Jean.

Hi you have been busy again with the camera I thought about getting one of the new ones but I get in enough trouble with the desktop,at the momentI think that be "a step too far" maybe later if I ever master this thing in front of me !,. They have really made Alrewas into something to
be proud of, people came from all over to see it bye for now
Bernard:cool:

Jean I think the reason there are not many birds is because it is all so new. The trees are very small. I think it will be so much better in about twenty years time. The area is all reclaimed land from the quarry you can still see working. If you look across the lake there is a lovely walk with bird viewing dens. We took our grandchildren on a walk round there last year.

Dave they were all very moveing and Wendy when we go again we will go on the train as everything is explained as you are going round isn't it. Wendy was there a soldier marching round when you were there?.

Visited there on Wednesday, brilliant weather. It is Armed Forces Week and on Saturday27th June it is Armed Forces Day, activities are:
10.50 Service of Thanksgiving Band of Royal Marines
11.30 RAF REgiment Association Annual Service of Remembrance
12 noon Display by the Band of the Royal Marines
12.20 Parade
Exhibition stalls etc
Sunday 28th National Service Veterans Day
1.50 Annual Service of Remembrance with West Midlands Police Band

Hello again, this lunchtime I attended a meeting of the Suez Veterans Assc; in Derby, it was quite a good meeting, about 40 attended,
They raised concerns about the state of the SVA Memorial plot at Alrewas.
The branch recently welcome a party of members from the London area who made a weekend visit to the NMA., and the plot itself was cleaned up before they came.The boundary of the plot seems to be causing concern
as people are walking over the memorial which is not very nice.
On Friday we have been invited to have coffee in the mayors palour but I
have a previous engagement,(not a Lord like Brum).

Bernard67Arnold

We are planning a second trip shortly and have two large pebbles with Pete's uncles names on who died on board the same ship in combat. It was unusual to send two brothers on the same ship I think. Jean.

Hi Jean, Thats your plant on the right, I have recently joined the SVA, this
is a group of people who served in the Suez Canel Zone between 1951/55.
We have our own memorial at Alrewas, to be honest I have not seen it There yet,
but our members have complained about people walked on it and kicking
up the sand around the canel. Must go and have a look, me little dog Jack
is coming tomorrow, must see how we get on bye for now Bernard

hello bernard
you must have been in the 3rd battalion CG, the 3rd GG were there too, at Ismalaya' few names from the camb area des lines, eric sayer, john arliss, b. turner. most passed a way now but used to be in the local British legion, 70's 80's.
regards paul

Hi Dave
Already have my invite for the Dedication but I was wondering if you would give permission for me to send the pics to the Handlers Association for possible publication in our newspaper or on our website.

Chocks you may use any of my pics, yes I hope to there on the day, be hard to miss me :), no invite but that never stopped me :) Dave

been there today and had yet another brilliant day each time we go there is something different to see at the moment they are working on the resturant building i am lucky in so much as i only live 20 minutes away
so we have seen many changes

Cheers Dave. Full credit will be given to your good self.
I don't think you need a ticket to attend the dedication just to attend the buffet after, but if I don't know what you look like I'm sure it won't be that easy to recognise you.

Hi chocks
I knew a guy from Cambridge, Dave Clark served on the Ark Royal in the "Fleet", said he did some shore time at lossiemouth, in the late 50's early 60's. wondered if you knew him?
regards
paul

Back