• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Lorry Driver of the year Award - late '50's/early '60's................

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Hi all,
I have recently found out that my father was the regional winner for the Midlands - and went on to win the National Lorry Driver of the year award.
This must have been very late '50's, or early '60's.... I think he was working for Dunlop at the time??
I've tried to find out info on this award, but can't find anything on the web.....

Any info would be most appreciated!!

Unable to speak for the fifties/ sixties but many of our tanker drivers (shell mex and BP) entered from 1969 onwards. The Drivers were whittled down by our own driver trainers until the select few from all 48 distribution terminals entered. Drivers selected would spend weeks preparing their own vehicles, cleaning and painting, ready for the big day, woe betide any other driver who so much as scratched these vehicles.

Thanks all!
I am looking for specifics, ie - WHEN was my father (surname Lorton) Lorry Driver of the year - the site given by Janice, many thanks for that - it was interesting!, only has headlines (unfortunately!)...
My father died in 1965, so I know it was before then....
Can anyone try to find a list of yearly winners (really don't know where to start, tried the link from Janice, but nothing came up).....
Sorry, bit of a pc dynasaur...................
Many thanks for any help!!
Barbara

WOW! Thanks Janice, yes - that's my dad, John Thomas Lorton!!
I've tried to screen in on the photos of the newspaper page - but it won't work..... i think that the man shaking hands on the photo on the right is my dad...
Any way you can post the actual photo for me????!!!

He went, apparently, from Dunlop, to Midland Red transport, then to Midland Counties - I can still remember the ice cream wrapped in white ice, that he'd bring home on Saturdays!!!

Thank you so much for your help!!

Sorry I can't as I would now have to register on the site - you must get so many free goes. If you click on the link and then choose "browse issues by cove" you can choose to see the whole magazine for that date.

Janice

PS let me know if it works.

Is this any help?

Commercial_motor_p_58__18th_may_1962.jpg

Hi Janice,
The link you gve me for the Birmingham round in 1965.... dated 21st May.
My dad died 23rd Aug that year - any idea who won?

Many thanks!
Barbara

Sorry no. As I said before I would need to register on the archive to see any more information. All I know is there seem to be a lot of different classes.

Janice

I was a Director and National Council Member of the Lorry Driver of the Year Association and I still have the National Finals Programmes. In 1962 Mr J T Lorton was competitor number 115, representing Midland Counties Dairies Ltd., in Class F(1) at the Lorry Driver of the Year National Finals held at Massey Ferguson Ltd., Banner Lane Coventry on 16th September 1962. He was driving a Bedford artic. He qualified at the Birmingham Centre eliminator competition. At the National Final the class was won by D Hankinson, J Curtis & Son Ltd., Oxford.
Sadly, more than 6 years have passed since the original question but I hope this information is still of use.

Ray

hi ray and welcome...that is wonderful info thank you....lets hope barbara logs on and spots it .....lyn

I was a Director and National Council Member of the Lorry Driver of the Year Association and I still have the National Finals Programmes. In 1962 Mr J T Lorton was competitor number 115, representing Midland Counties Dairies Ltd., in Class F(1) at the Lorry Driver of the Year National Finals held at Massey Ferguson Ltd., Banner Lane Coventry on 16th September 1962. He was driving a Bedford artic. He qualified at the Birmingham Centre eliminator competition. At the National Final the class was won by D Hankinson, J Curtis & Son Ltd., Oxford.
Sadly, more than 6 years have passed since the original question but I hope this information is still of use.

Ray
I can well remember the late sixties onwards when our Drivers (Shell Mex & BP) started the local elimination tests then the final chosen few who attended the Finals. The Drivers were allowed time off deliveries to prepare their vehicle which always included raiding our Vehicle spares stores for paint and brushes, just a shame when the Finals had ended that they no longer showed the same interest.:)

Didn’t realise I’d posted similar in 2015, memory’s not as good as it used to be.

Last edited:

Ray
hi ray and welcome...that is wonderful info thank you....lets hope barbara logs on and spots it .....lyn
Well, blow me - my ear must have been itching for me to come back to this forum!!!!
Brickey - thanks so much!!

Well, blow me - my ear must have been itching for me to come back to this forum!!!!
Brickey - thanks so much!!
I am delighted to have been able to help. It also justified my decision to keep many boxes full of LDoY information. Those were good days of friendly, but intense competition.
Ray

Back