• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Assistance

frederick

master brummie
we had a few familiesin our stree that got National Assistance were any of you in this situation i think it was the bigger families i wes an only child so we dident get it and two lads next door they dident get it, whot are your memories.
View attachment 16950

Last edited by a moderator:
yes we used to get national assistance, when we were kids i think it had its stigmas then ,but who cares im proud of the fact we managed on this pittence ,well just about.we were a one parent family and times were the hardest, im sure there are many more people out there ,who had to endure the help of the assistance too ,as i remember . a lot of people when i was a kid. and the familys were big eight, even ten ,or more kids crammed into the little houses .in very bad conditions, its a wonder we survived.harley

Pete remembered free daily mail shoes which has been discussed before and free school meals. His dad walked out on three young boys. Some one stepped in and took them on and fathered another boy. As far as the lads were concerned he was their proper dad. Lovely photo Frederick. Jean.

i remember my dad having food hampers from someone in the R.A.F i think it was one of his officers he was an old recute and he spent his time in Kent on the barage ballons.

I posted some of this this a few years ago September 8th, 2004 in Fact...

I remember even in the early 50's going with mom in to town to see what was then known as 'The Panel' armed with heaps of paper and information about our family, and having to prove that Dad was registered as Blind and that my brother and sister attended a school for children with poor vision.
We also had visits from a chap about once every two weeks. He used to frighten me to death, he would bellow questions at mom and even ask me things like “Where’s your father?” “How many sisters do you have and how many brothers?” “ Where are your toy’s?” I wasn’t even 5yrs old, but was expected to answer and the answers were always the same “He’s at the blind place”. ”Our Ken, our 'laine “ “Ain’t got none”.
We had nothing to hide, because we had nothing back then.

That is what being on National Assistance meant back then, no free rides. You really had to work hard to get anything out of them, it was far better if you could find work and support your family.

I walked the streets with my Dad in all weathers selling packs for 'The Blind Institute' containing; A Writing Pad, Pen, Pencil an envelopes in Summer and Christmas Cards in November, he got a small % of the money from what we sold . I used to go all around Brum with him after school and on Saturdays to earn just a few pence to help feed and cloth us.
We had free school meals and free shoes and socks we kids did "Paper Rounds" morning and evenings and "The Coke Run" every Saturday morning (A totally different meaning today and probably more lucrative). We folded leaflets for so much a hundred and put Hairgrips on cards again for a few pence a hundred.

As I have already post too, on another thread Dad played the piano in the local pubs wherever we lived for a Jar full of coins, again these coppers also went in to the housekeeping.

However this is what helped me get to where and what I am today. I like what I am and what I've achieved, so who could ask for more out of life.

By the way Fred I've lightened up your pic' hope you don't mind.
View attachment 17035

Pom

Back