• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Naming on OS maps

Although not containing anything referring to Birmingham specifically, this follow up to the above note may interest some , especially bus and tram fans:

My personal experience of naming things on OS maps was when we had been in to our present property a few days and I was working outside when a man approached me and said "I am from the OS. Can you tell me the name for your property"
(The houses are named on this road- not numbered). This threw us a bit because we had not decided on anything. Eventually we cobbled something together but it was a bit of a disaster because there is a similar named house down the road and we had used words from the Cornish language and got them the wrong way round so people keep telling us of our error.

So within a week of us moving in the property was on the OS map. Efficiency !!

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Back