• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

NAME CHANGE TO CITYS ROUTE

Last edited:
Whatever next for the City of a thousand trades. Probably a Handy Street ?
most likely pedro ..thing is as ive said many times the buildings that are now being thrown up in matter of months will never stand the test of time...they will never become historical buildings like the ones that took years of brummie craftmanship to build..they will have a shelf life of about 50 years or so...yes change must come but it comes at a the premium of losing so many grand historical buildings and ancient churchyards and woodland...i only hope that i am still around to see the demise of HS2 which along with the library of birmingham are just more white elephants...moan over

lyn

most likely pedro ..thing is as ive said many times the buildings that are now being thrown up in matter of months will never stand the test of time...they will never become historical buildings like the ones that took years of brummie craftmanship to build..they will have a shelf life of about 50 years or so...yes change must come but it comes at a the premium of losing so many grand historical buildings and ancient churchyards and woodland...i only hope that i am still around to see the demise of HS2 which along with the library of birmingham are just more white elephants...moan over

lyn
It's not only the physical buildings. It's also the memory of place and meaning. Bonds with the past .

As to these skycrapers, will they last even 50 years? With more and more companies saying that employees will only come into the office on two days per week, possibly less soon, computers will soon be rented cloud-based space and all we need is some shelving for paper-based files, perhaps in a cheap industrial unit on the outskirts of the city. With little in the city, there will then be no need for city centre offices or high-priced accomodation, None of these Council people seem to think very far ahead these days.

But for those who left Birmingham many years ago, I'm afraid that Paradise Street will always be Paradise Street, not Circus and least of all Lyon anything. Town twinning has always seemed a joke to me, an excuse for the Mayor & his cronies to go on a few jollies at Council Taxpayers expense that achieves nothing, and is certainly of no benefit to the citizens.

Maurice :cool:

Maybe Queen Mother ? Bowes-Lyon, Lyon = a clan of Scotland. Still not clear !!! Viv.

from the report

This would further develop Birmingham’s relationship with Lyon, our partner city, and reciprocate their naming of Avenue de Birmingham.

Avenue de Birmingham . about 200 yards of dual carriageway leading from the river to the entrance of a tunnel

Back