• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Name and Location of employment

Circa

proper brummie kid
My great grandfather was a "steel tube drawer - journeyman'. On his death certificate (1907) it states he was employed at "Tube Works of Birmingham". Any ideas?

Thank you.

There was a company on Rocky Lane in Aston by the old Ansell brewery that had made tubes for years (like all the other manufacturing companies it is gone now) In 1976 when I left school it was called Tubes Limited ande was part of the TI Group I know because I was offered a maintenance apprenticeship by them. I know it was there for a long time and think it is a strong possibility it is the place you are looking for.

Thank you. This gives me some idea and a place to search in early maps.

What were these tubes used for, ie. bicycles?

I have a relative on the 1911 census living Ingleby St, Birmingham who is a Tube Worker - may say Iron Tube Worker - I can't quite work out the first word. Then it says Gas Tubes in the industry column.

Is this the same thing?

Last edited:
Back