• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nail Making

On my paternal family tree is a branch whose name is Priest who lived in Rowley Regis area. My 4 x grandfather is Benjamin Priest and his wife Sophie. The 1861 census has their occupations when they were in their 60s as nailmakers.
The whole family seems to have been in the nail and chain making industry for several generations.
One of their sons, also named Benjamin, obviously prospered and founded a company in Old Hill. A couple of adverts for his company are attached.

View attachment 156148 View attachment 156149

They were still going in the 1980s but I don't know if they are now.
On my paternal family tree is a branch whose name is Priest who lived in Rowley Regis area. My 4 x grandfather is Benjamin Priest and his wife Sophie. The 1861 census has their occupations when they were in their 60s as nailmakers.
The whole family seems to have been in the nail and chain making industry for several generations.
One of their sons, also named Benjamin, obviously prospered and founded a company in Old Hill. A couple of adverts for his company are attached.

View attachment 156148 View attachment 156149

They were still going in the 1980s but I don't know if they are now.
In this case, we are related, I am the Granddaughter of Benjamin Priest ( The Old Hill one) & you are Black Country, not a Brummy, our company Nuts Bolts, Scaffolding, etc. My father Cecil Jackson brought the company back from near bankruptcy due to my grandfather's death duties.. My son Benjamin passed in 1976 and Dad passed 1977, the company is sadly no more. My second Grandson's middle name is Ben, if the name continues after that I have no idea?

In this case, we are related, I am the Granddaughter of Benjamin Priest ( The Old Hill one) & you are Black Country, not a Brummy, our company Nuts Bolts, Scaffolding, etc. My father Cecil Jackson brought the company back from near bankruptcy due to my grandfather's death duties.. My son Benjamin passed in 1976 and Dad passed 1977, the company is sadly no more. My second Grandson's middle name is Ben, if the name continues after that I have no idea?

Back