• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mystery Street

O

O.C.

Could anyone tell me were this photo was taken ? it is of a victory parade just after the war Saltley gasworks can be seen as well as part of a street name

i would say the junction of freeman road and nechells place as the angle of the two gasometers puts it roughly in the area as there were no houses from the other side

:angel: Guys I believe it's the Corner of Lupin St and Henry St and the Gasworks is the Windsor St Gasworks. They would have come down from Barrack St and on to Gt Lister St by the corner of Rupert St. I remember that area really well and walked along there many times on my paperound. Although I surpose a lot of the areas looked very much alike back then.

Chris :angel:

I found this picture of Devon St, obviously the houses have long since dissapeared.
Wotcha fink ?.

:angel: Sorry Folks I still think it's Lupin St/ Henry St area.

The Map show the direction of the photo would have been taken and if you look very close at the Street Name you can make out the 'PIN' of Lupin St.

Also the Gasometers in Devon St are too close together as in Windsor St there is a bigger space between them.

We may have to agree to disagree on this one. O0 As I said, I walked those streets many times passed that corner, going from Harbons paper shop on Gt Lister St up Henry St to the Barrack St/Cardigan St /Gem St. area to deliver my Papers .

Last edited:
Chris.
I think you are right I forgot about them gasometers, I was thinking of the Saltley ones
but on studying the map I have of 1918 you are bang on right.
And the lady inthe photo Iris Haycock lived in guess what? LUPIN STREET

:angel: Yes I did know that Iris had once lived in Lupin St, but was not sure when.

Well she didn't move very far either, because the Masonette she lived in, during the 1950's/60's  in the Kellett Rd flats looked out on to Lupin St from her lounge window.

Strange forgetting the Gas works in Avenue Road as that was my Saturday morning run for the neighbour's fetching them coke in an old pram for a piece of bread pudding.
Ma would not have coke in the house (Different meaning today) as she did not like the fumes that came from it, so I had to get the coal from Powe's on Nechells Green just into Thimble Mill Lane, I always felt like a pit pony pulling them old coal barrows home

Cromwell,, Neigh Lad :2funny: Great memories aahr kid, Pit Ponied a few barrows meself :angel:

Yo Pom-Chris :-* Well done,, Ya got the Spotters badge on this one O0 luv to all John :crazy2:

Am I the only one that called the old 3 wheel Scammel Railway lorries "Hanks" as no one knows what I am talking about. We always use to climb on the back of a "Hank"which was going up the hill at Avenue Rd and got to the top if the driver did not spot us

:angel: Yes we called them "Hanks" too, I have a little story about one of those lorries.

When we lived in Dymoke St, we were next door to a factory and there were always "Hanks" parked outside or house picking up or dropping off goods. One day while playing house in the gutter with my friend, making mud pies, I took off my best Fur coat (a hand me down from a posh friend of Mom's) so as not to get it dirty and hung it on one of the hooks that were all around the edge of 'the flat bed' for securing it's load. Well we were so in to playing our game that we never notice the "hank" take off coat and all. Well the belting I got of Mom for losing my Fur coat put me of Fur coats for ever.

It is the corner of Lupin Street looking down Henry Street  towards Great Lister Street.

Postie, Yours is Lupin Street as it approaches the far end and meets Loxton Street which cannot be seen.

Ernie
Sent me this to resize and put on for him it was taken from the bottom of Henry Street looking across Great Lister Street into Rupert Street

Cromwell. Thank you for the help. The left and centre Gasholders are the ones on your Mystery Street photo. These were a common everyday sight to everyone travelling around.

Postie.  A great photo, many a time l have walked along this street sometimes to get coke from Avenue Road or go to the Astoria in Aston Road.  l even had customers in this street when l went out selling bundles of firewood at 3 pence each.

Ger22van, That horse use to pull his cart onto the pavement and kick our door to be fed, hard to believe, as my mother use to feed him everyday. in the next road Cromwell Street

Cromwell. Your Mum would have had a busy time if you had lived in Rupert Street with all those Railway horses going down there. We did not get any holidays as such but would'nt it be great to travel back for a few days holiday in times past?

Ernie Great talking about it,but go back no, I use to dread having to fetch the coal in my school dinner hour from Powes on Nechells Green I must have only been about 8 at the time draging those heavy coal carts all that distance and then again on the Saturday Morning the coke run in Avenue road.
I loved the horses though and remember a few falling over as the come out on to the cobbled street in the rain which was sad.
I remember also in Cromwell Street when the Penny Winkle man wheel came of his barrow and a couple of hundredweight of the things went all over the road. They was all scooped up in 10 minutes as kids came from everywhere to gather them up.
Going back to Mystery St My Grandad had a Fruit round in Lupin Street with all the fruit and veg in the World while my Ma and us lot were starving, he sure was a nasty man even though he was kin

Cromwell. l love reading your posts even though l do not comment on all of them. You are a treasure of information and no one else could cover the things that you post. l am sure that you will always captivate us with the stories that you give us.

Ernie, Thanks for those kind remarks, you know I feel I have lived 6 lives allready but I have achieved a lot in my life and done everything I set out to achieve and been everywhere I wanted to go in the World I have no regrets.Just feel this is not enough hours in the day to do what I like doing which is Art and history so one or the other has to suffer

Cromwell.  Sorry l missed your last posting please forgive me.  The most important thing is that we enjoy what we do and judging by the terrific output from you l am sure that you enjoy every minute that you spend with History. 

the corporation salt and grit store in thimblemill lane,never noticed it before

Back