• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mystery Shop

O

O.C.

I found this between the pages of book I bought at a sale can anyone identify were the shop was
or if anyone is related to the chap in the photo I will send them the photo

Can't identify the shop Postie, but it is so typical of the little shops I knew when I was growing up, they seemed to sell just about everything.

i have searched through many different years in Kelly's and can not find the is shop under the name on the facade it could the name of the original owner or the shop is not in Birmingham

Looking close at the house next door it has the name Gartrey or Cartrey.
If no one can identifiy it after a few weeks I will delete it as I know what a brainy lot you are on this site
So like you say it cannot be in Brum
I thought it might be the shop by the Green lane Picture house in the 50-60's Small Heath

I have checked both names in several censuses and B M D index's neither name I can not find, by the look of the board it is it looks more like a business name and I have had no luck with that either

Thats the ones I was thinking of, but the mind plays tricks and they dont look like the ones in the photo

Hi Cromwell
Postie and me remember those shops well, we both lived close to them when we were kids
so this has made me curious as to why you thought of those shops, did you have connections with the area?

By the way, in the 50s the two shops by the picture house were Pinnicks Electrical and Collins Motorcycles
Our dad bought our first tv from one and our first motorbike from the other ;)

When I did my courting in the 60's remember going window shopping I've walked 10 miles or so doing that (the kids today cannot walk over the corner shop)
I use to go to the Green Lane Picture House quite a bit then as well as the Era, Kingston,Capitol and I forget the name of the one at Hay Mills but never forget when Rock around the Clock came out and that cinema was wrecked by the Teds
If you know what I am talking about we all bought our clothes from "Sonny's" in Hay Mills
Great Days
PS Now back to that shop I have a feeling it aint in Brum or someone would have twigged it
So another week and I will get rid of it

The one at hay Mills was the Adelphi
It's still there but now it's some sort of mosque
The Green Lane is still there as well, it's a household goods shop now

Me and my mate went to see Rock Around The Clock at the Coronet
It must have been an "A" because my mate's mum had to take us in - you couldn't hear a word for the stamping and clapping ::)

Happy Days

You are correct D.A's Briycream and our Motor bikes I wish I had a time capsule ( I think I am going to make one, then go back and do all the Mods in )

I did sir on my Vincent 2000 it was a must in them days
(People are saying whats a Vincent 2000 twin cams)

Back