• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mystery Old Tram Picture

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
Hi Folks.

Before my Uncle died (Tram Man George) he gave me some old newspaper cuttings the attachment was one of them.

Unfortunaely he didn't leave me the answer to the cutting.

Can anybody confirm my own thoughts.

It was the alterations to Salford Brigde junction at the Muckman Public House, to allow the new 79 Tyburn Road Service which opened in 1920.

The Erdington 2 service opened in 1907 and the start of the 78 Short Heath opened in1912.

The 79 service was later extended in 1927 to the then new Pype Hayes Housing Estate and was the only trams service every opened primary for transport of tennants of a new housing estate.

Ray

correct me is I am wrong but is not the pub on the left at the bottom of Gravely Hill THE ERDINGTON ARMS ?
Great pic My Mom & Dad used to tell us about them attending the opening of the new Salford bridge But I cannot remember the date,without going to the bridge & looking can any one tell me the dat that bridge was opened ? PLEASE.

Yes that's the northern end of Salford Bridge, tram tracks off to Slade Rd on the left, Gravelly Hill straigt on, and Tyburn Rd to the right, at the time of the opening of the widened Salford Bridge - the old tracks are visible under the new ones, but further left as used to be the road centre. Sorry don't have the date to hand, is the bronze plate with the bridge's history still in place on one of the larger abutment piers? That would have it.

Yes that's the northern end of Salford Bridge, tram tracks off to Slade Rd on the left, Gravelly Hill straigt on, and Tyburn Rd to the right, at the time of the opening of the widened Salford Bridge - the old tracks are visible under the new ones, but further left as used to be the road centre. Sorry don't have the date to hand, is the bronze plate with the bridge's history still in place on one of the larger abutment piers? That would have it.

There is this from an earlier post of mine
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14243&highlight=salford+bridge

The Armada was constructed in the 70s after Spaggetti Junction was completed as Froth said further over than the original Gravelly Hill. Dek

Here is a postcard of the Salford Bridge - Gravelly Hill - Tyburn Rd - Slade Rd junction from the bridge after that new track had been incorporated into the roadway. It must have been taken soon after the bridge was widened.

Back