• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mystery Death of David Robert Huntley 1903

Although some of the newspapers of Birmingham are not online for 1903, the incident of a throat cutting normally gets a mention in papers for other areas. For example the Bromyard News (and at least four others) for 2 April 1903 reports Sensational Affair in Birmingham, a story of an attempted suicide.

Last edited:
George sails on the 23 May 1903.

From the Birmingham Gazette 21 May 1903…

“….120 boys and girls who have been rescued from the miseries of slum life, and who start for Canada at the end of the month..."

6E04CE14-E8C7-4161-BB2C-0E5F758F94CC.jpegC06FFC08-079A-464D-8598-9581669BFE5C.jpeg8E6CB6D8-F261-484B-A1E6-3BA916E2E39F.jpeg

By coincidence….In the book Great Canadian Expectations: The Middlemore Experience, by Patricia Roberts-Pichette…

"….A complaint, dated August 28,1903 was sent to James V Lantanum, Federal Immigration Agent in St. John, New Brunswick, about a well-to-do farmer's cruelty to his adopted son, a 9 year old Middlemore boy who had arrived in Canada on June 12, 1903...."

Have deleted attached files as I now realise the George Frederick I found coming from Canada was the nephew and was the son of David Lewis Huntley. Not sure why he had been in Canada

Last edited:
That George Frederick died in a fire in the 1960's, fell asleep smoking...his brother was my uncle by marriage, Nearly everyone gets the two Georges mixed up

Had a reply from the Library of Birmingham who hold the coroners records, wasn't what I was hoping for...( Thank you for your e-mail forwarded to us from the Coroner’s Office. I checked the box of Birmingham inquests we hold around 2nd April, up to the 20th April, 1903, but I couldn’t see an inquest for David Robert Huntley. The death certificate would usually say if there was one held. If there’s a note to say one was and you can provide the date, I’ll check our holdings again. If there isn’t a note on the death certificate, it’s likely one wasn’t held. ) I cannot see any notes on the certificate therefore not an mystery anymore, I would like to know where Middlemore got their information from, the Lad, his mother or was it just all made up by Middlemore to get George Frederick sent to Canada quicker, we will never know for certain, Thank you all for the help and suggestions you passed on to me...

I suppose it is possible that the note refers to another child - there is no name on that section. Death cert agrees with top part of report.
Parents certainly together on census.

It is the correct child involved, and yes his parents were together in 1901 and the death certificate does correspond with the top half of the application, goodness knows where the other information came from, there is no records or news paper articles to back it up or confirm the suicide of David Robert, I think this story has run its course unless I find some new information , Thank you

I will try to explain this the best I can, my cousin's great uncle was sent to Canada in or around 1905, this was after his father died in 1903, on his papers it stated that his father died of Heart Disease, and his mother could no longer afford to look after him, But on the record it states that his father at the time of his death wasn't living at home, he was with another women, the young lad found both his dad and the women he was living with dead with cuts to the throat, I am not sure if he seen his dad cut his own throat or not, now was the lad telling lies about his dad or not, this happened around April 1903, I don't know the name of the lady involved , I do not longer subscribe to the British News Papers Archives, but did try a search with the Library of Birmingham on line papers but couldn't find any mention of it, I would expect that incident like this would have made the local papers, did he died of an heart attack, was it murder and suicide, or were both murdered by an unknow killer, looking at the deaths for June quarter of 1903 is David Robert Huntley and Elizabeth Dyson she is the only one from that period which may be the lady involved, any guidance will be appreciated, Thank you
Hello aston lad,
George Frederick Robert Huntley was my great grandmother Florence Maud Liggett's nephew. His mother Sarah Ann (nee Cox Liggett) was her sister. Sarah Ann and David Robert Huntley were the witnesses at Florence Maud's marriage to Charles Pendrey in 1885. What an intriguing and sad story. I don't have access to the newspaper articles mentioned. Surely a doctor would not falsify a death certificate? I am not judging - who knows what the situation was at the time, but I am a more than a little disturbed that none of Sarah Ann's siblings, including Florence Maud, took in this child. Poor little boy. We know in spite of good intentions that many of the children sent to Canada and Australia were treated very badly. Cheers from Queensland, Australia.

Hi Patricia, I really don't think that David Robert did commit suicide, I think it was a pose to able to send George Frederick away, out of all the children they had he was the only one sent, there was a younger brother who Sarah kept with her, the eldest son David Lewis offered to pay £1-00 a week to help with feeding and clothing him for 12 months, I know that George Frederick did not have a very happy childhood and kept running away from his foster parents, the last time he ran away nothing else as heard of him, but Helen, David Lewis's great granddaughter said she had found him living in Baltimore, Maryland, USA where he died in 1930. Helen's tree is on Ancestry her user name is hmj67 she may be able to give you more detail about George and others in her tree.

Hi Patricia, I really don't think that David Robert did commit suicide, I think it was a pose to able to send George Frederick away, out of all the children they had he was the only one sent, there was a younger brother who Sarah kept with her, the eldest son David Lewis offered to pay £1-00 a week to help with feeding and clothing him for 12 months, I know that George Frederick did not have a very happy childhood and kept running away from his foster parents, the last time he ran away nothing else as heard of him, but Helen, David Lewis's great granddaughter said she had found him living in Baltimore, Maryland, USA where he died in 1930. Helen's tree is on Ancestry her user name is hmj67 she may be able to give you more detail about George and others in her tree.
Hello aston lad,
Thanks for your response. I agree that David did not commit suicide. It makes me wonder how much investigation the Middlemore people actually did. As you said, maybe it was a pose to get him into the children's immigration program. Very sad. Thanks for the information on Helen. I have often wondered how I am related to the person who manages this private tree on Ancestry. I will send Helen a message. Once again, many thanks. Cheers,
Patricia

“It makes me wonder how much investigation the Middlemore people actually did.”

There certainly was a change when John Middlemore died in 1924 and the running of the Home was taken over by Paul Cadbury. My own feeling is that over the years the investigations became less restricted.

I have often wondered how I am related to the person who manages this private tree on Ancestry. I will send Helen a message. Once again, many thanks. Cheers,
Patricia

If Helen is David Lewis Huntley's great grand daughter and Sarah Ann Cox Liggett is his mother, then Helen would be Sarah Ann Cox Liggett's 2 x great grand daughter.

As you are the great grand daughter of Florence Maud Liggett (Sarah's sister) you would be one generation older. You and Helen's mother/father would share the same 2 x great grandparents (Florence and Sarah's parents) making you third cousins and Helen would be your third cousin once removed.

Fred & Ann Liggett - Florence (child) - grandchild - g grandchild - you (g g grandchild)

Fred & Ann Liggett - Sarah A (child) - David (grandchild) - g granchild - g g grandchild - Helen (g g g grandchild)

If Helen is David Lewis Huntley's great grand daughter and Sarah Ann Cox Liggett is his mother, then Helen would be Sarah Ann Cox Liggett's 2 x great grand daughter.

As you are the great grand daughter of Florence Maud Liggett (Sarah's sister) you would be one generation older. You and Helen's mother/father would share the same 2 x great grandparents (Florence and Sarah's parents) making you third cousins and Helen would be your third cousin once removed.

Fred & Ann Liggett - Florence (child) - grandchild - g grandchild - you (g g grandchild)

Fred & Ann Liggett - Sarah A (child) - David (grandchild) - g granchild - g g grandchild - Helen (g g g grandchild)
Hello MWS. Many thanks. I had not got around to figuring where Helen and I sit in the family. She has told me that her mother and I share DNA. That is always nice to know, as so often I cannot find the link of others with whom I share DNA.
Cheers,
Patricia

Once again, many thanks aston lad. I sent Helen a message, and received a lovely reply. I look forward to hearing about George Frederick Robert and sharing family history with her. She also told me that I share DNA with her mother. That is very nice to know.

“It makes me wonder how much investigation the Middlemore people actually did.”

There certainly was a change when John Middlemore died in 1924 and the running of the Home was taken over by Paul Cadbury. My own feeling is that over the years the investigations became less restricted.
Thank you Pedrocut. I guess these "children's migration groups" had the best of intentions but it is mind boggling the number of children, some very young, who were sent overseas. It is estimated that from 1912 to the late 1960s about 7000 children, mainly from Britain, and some from Malta were sent to institutions in Australia. Our P.M. Kevin Rudd made a formal apology in 2009.
Cheers,
Patricia

If I remember rightly most children from Middlemore Homes were initially sent to Canada and there was a reception centre. However after 1924 Paul Cadbury seems to have handed over the transport and responsibility to the Fairbridge Society and many children went to Australia.

Last edited:
Back