• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mystery Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew I had seen the building somewhere, the angle of the photo's were a bit off putting, they must have been taken from a road on a higher level than the road passing the hospital.

When I was about 10 to 12 years old we often parked by the high wall on the main road eating fish & chips from a chippy opposite the hospital whilst on the way to holidays in North Wales.

The hospital was on the main road out of Kidderminster heading towards Bridgenorth, I think the chimney in the background belonged to a carpet manufacturer of a well know brand of carpets however the name of the company escapes me.

We can say this mystery was solved all from eating a bag of chips.

And thankfully it still exists, just checked on google maps. They don't make buildings like that any more, so much character.

John

And thankfully it still exists, just checked on google maps. They don't make buildings like that any more, so much character.

John
they sure dont john and we are lucky to have anything like that left standing nowadays

lyn

The place was completed in 1870 I gather. It has been converted into flats but retains much of its original exterior. The curios thing is the place from where the photo was taken. It appears it was taken in the road named Proud Cross Ringwaywhich was either being constructed or the original road widened when the photo was taken - which was a while ago as there are some fine trees there now which were not inthe original photo. The bus stop is still there. :)

John

I'm afraid the old hospital does not exist anymore, only the lodge on Sutton road ( Just about )

Attachments

• lodge.JPG
    lodge.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 16
  • lodge2.JPG
    lodge2.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 17
I'm afraid the old hospital does not exist anymore, only the lodge on Sutton road ( Just about )

Frothblower, that is a building in a different part of Kidderminster an not part of the Kidderminster Royal Infirmary. The hospital in question, the Royal Infirmary is on Mill Street and I think is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back