• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Myers family in Birmingham - 19th century

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
LisaMaryCameron writes in connection with her gt. gt. aunt, Alice Myers, who was an employee at the Kynoch Lion Works in Witton at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. See this thread where she is mentioned.

My father is Edward John Cameron, His father was Edward John Cameron, His father was Charles Edward Cameron who married Annie Myers. Annie's father was Martin Myers, His father was Martin Myers who marries Catherine Walsh/Welch. They had Martin then Martin Snr I believe died in 1874. Alice Myers who worked at Kynoch's was born in 1877 then Catherine married Michael Moran in 1879 & had more children. Alice is on the 1901 census as sister living with Martin & his family in Erskine Street with the name Myers. However, She marries William Simpson in 1911 as Alice Moran. So I don't suppose we'll ever know whether Michael Moran is Alice's father but unless there's another death record for Martin Myers I can't find or her age is given incorrectly then I don't think she is technically a Myers!

The Myers are a bit of a mystery, we know Martin's father was Michael from marriage cert. But Martin turns up in Birmingham with his sister & brother in 1851 age 12. Census would have you believe they come from Ireland but I'm not convinced, there are zero records in Ireland (a relative from another marry in (who were irish) has scoured grave yards & church records in Ireland & found not a grave or a marriage much less a baptism anywhere). And the spelling of their name is German/Prussian Jewish. We have jewish on the Cameron side & as my father also lived in the same house as Martin had there were also Mezuzah on the door. DNA says I'm 15% Ashkenazi & 12% Basque/Iberian/Sephardi. We know where the Sephardi comes from it's Mom's on the Cameron side. Most notably Charles's mother Deborah, her mother was Abigail A'Cohen & her mother was (Dove) Paloma Nunes Martinez & we have relative's who are still practicing Jews. We have no idea where the Ashkenazi come's from & it's quite a high percent! Needless to say all our DNA matches are coming up just about anywhere than the United Kingdom.

Lisa​

Any comments on the points raised by Lisa will be welcomed.

Last edited:
Back