• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My visit to Birmingham yesterday.

cba

master brummie
Now that I am living in Stratford-Upon-Avon, after over 50 years living around London, I decided to take the train in to Snow Hill and take a look around to see all the changes that you all post about.
I started by going to St Phillips to look at the Burne-Jones Windows, spectacular! Lovely warm welcome as I entered. I then made my way to the town hall where a graduation ceremony was taking place, lovely atmosphere with all the graduates taking photos of each other in their cap and gowns.
I got a glimpse of the Floosie in her Jacuzzi even though she was surrounded by barriers as the workmen noisily worked around her. I then could not find my way to the library because of all the building works at the Paradise development but a friendly street sweeper directed me through the maze of hoarding. I loved the library, or the cake boxes, as she described it, what an innovative piece of architecture. Straight to the 9th floor to the Shakespeare room and the viewing area, brilliant, so pleased that some of the old Shakespeare library was retained. I then went down to the secret garden on 7th floor, what a wonderful surprise, out into the cool air after the heat of the library to wonderful views over the city and quiet garden to sit and contemplate.
One of the places I wanted to find was my old college, food and domestic arts, I walked through centenary square past the public art of the Birmingham Family and the Golden Boys, noticed that the registry office, opposite the Hall of Memory, has now gone, and then saw my old college building and the Shakespeare pub. I decided to go into the pub, first time since 1969, front bar area was how I remember it, wonderful carved wood, leaded windows, not as scruffy as it used to be, and a very warm welcome. I had a coffee and a bar snack and a chat to the manager. I am so pleased that I went in I would definitely recommend the pub.
Reflecting on the visit I know there are lots of changes but the city is dynamic as it always has been. There was still plenty of the familiar landmarks to help me recognise it and find my way around. What I came home with was the feel of the place and that was down to the warmth and friendliness of the people I encountered.It's great to be back home in the Midlands.
Carolann

Now that I am living in Stratford-Upon-Avon, after over 50 years living around London, I decided to take the train in to Snow Hill and take a look around to see all the changes that you all post about.
I started by going to St Phillips to look at the Burne-Jones Windows, spectacular! Lovely warm welcome as I entered. I then made my way to the town hall where a graduation ceremony was taking place, lovely atmosphere with all the graduates taking photos of each other in their cap and gowns.
I got a glimpse of the Floosie in her Jacuzzi even though she was surrounded by barriers as the workmen noisily worked around her. I then could not find my way to the library because of all the building works at the Paradise development but a friendly street sweeper directed me through the maze of hoarding. I loved the library, or the cake boxes, as she described it, what an innovative piece of architecture. Straight to the 9th floor to the Shakespeare room and the viewing area, brilliant, so pleased that some of the old Shakespeare library was retained. I then went down to the secret garden on 7th floor, what a wonderful surprise, out into the cool air after the heat of the library to wonderful views over the city and quiet garden to sit and contemplate.
One of the places I wanted to find was my old college, food and domestic arts, I walked through centenary square past the public art of the Birmingham Family and the Golden Boys, noticed that the registry office, opposite the Hall of Memory, has now gone, and then saw my old college building and the Shakespeare pub. I decided to go into the pub, first time since 1969, front bar area was how I remember it, wonderful carved wood, leaded windows, not as scruffy as it used to be, and a very warm welcome. I had a coffee and a bar snack and a chat to the manager. I am so pleased that I went in I would definitely recommend the pub.
Reflecting on the visit I know there are lots of changes but the city is dynamic as it always has been. There was still plenty of the familiar landmarks to help me recognise it and find my way around. What I came home with was the feel of the place and that was down to the warmth and friendliness of the people I encountered.It's great to be back home in the Midlands.
Carolann
Sounds like you had a lovely day here in Brum, so glad that the experience was positive for you

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I'm so glad that you had a good day in Birmingham and a warm welcome. Thanks for posting such a positive experience.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I last visited about four years ago as live in Shropshire now. The town is full of memories and I took my daughter with me (she's a teenager now... don't ask!!) We went to the art gallery and a lot of the old pictures are there as well as the Egyptian mummies. Many years ago, they had a table on display purported to be from one of the Star Wars films if anyone remembers that.
It's a shame that the old Central Library has been replaced, we used to go there on school visits though know it was an eyesore to many. Does anyone remember the giant Virgin Megastore in the middle of town in the 80's early 90's?

I spent another day in Brum yesterday. Started off with a visit to New St station to see Ozzy, waited to see him in action. he is really impressive and a real visitor attraction. We then walked up to St Phillip's cathedral to see the newly cleaned and renovated Burne-Jones windows, spectacular.
We then visited the Lock up museum in Steelhouse lane. Really interested with plenty to see and get involved with. A real asset to the City's history. Highly recommend.
We finished off the day at Pieminister in Waterloo St. Pie and Mash. Wonderful varied menu to suit meat eaters, veggies, vegans, gluten free. Excellent food and service.
Then the train back to Stratford from Snow Hill. Yet again everyone we interacted with was really friendly. Station staff, Museum Staff and volunteers, Restaurant staff. After years with London being my nearest city, Birmingham is so refreshingly different.

Good to hear. Brum gets too much bad press. Let's face it, you could go to most cities and highlight all the negatives about the place. Brum has suffered from a long history of people moaning about the city and what's been lost. Its bound to drag a place down. There are many, many positives and it's time to remove that old image. Thanks for highlighting your positive time in Brum cba.

Last edited:
I spent another day in Brum yesterday. Started off with a visit to New St station to see Ozzy, waited to see him in action. he is really impressive and a real visitor attraction. We then walked up to St Phillip's cathedral to see the newly cleaned and renovated Burne-Jones windows, spectacular.
We then visited the Lock up museum in Steelhouse lane. Really interested with plenty to see and get involved with. A real asset to the City's history. Highly recommend.
We finished off the day at Pieminister in Waterloo St. Pie and Mash. Wonderful varied menu to suit meat eaters, veggies, vegans, gluten free. Excellent food and service.
Then the train back to Stratford from Snow Hill. Yet again everyone we interacted with was really friendly. Station staff, Museum Staff and volunteers, Restaurant staff. After years with London being my nearest city, Birmingham is so refreshingly different.
Sorry I missed you, I work in The Lewis building (on reception), you could have waved as you passed en route to Steelhouse Lane Lockup!

Carolann
So you did see the Golden Boys! I was working for Wiliam Bloye the sculptor when they were working on them in the late 1950s This is how they looked then and where they were then

Attachments

• 43951769_1531749743591723_8447435230750441472_n.jpg
    43951769_1531749743591723_8447435230750441472_n.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 17
Carolann
A great “walk through” Carolann! It’s always good to hear some positive feedback, thank you!

Back