• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

my Uncles evacuation 1939

sistersue61

master brummie
Not sure if anyone will be able to help with this, but here goes.
My Uncle Ron attended St Philips Grammar School but although he would have been 14 or maybe just 15 when war was announced, was evacuated to a Mrs Cheese in Hereford.
Does anyone know why he would have been evacuated at his age - my dad (his brother) was only 8 and he wasn't evacuated, he remembers my uncle going though.
Apparently Uncle loved country life, but not as much as the city, as he came home and enlisted. He served in Africa I think, will have to re-check with dad.
Thanks, Sue

Not sure if anyone will be able to help with this, but here goes.
My Uncle Ron attended St Philips Grammar School but although he would have been 14 or maybe just 15 when war was announced, was evacuated to a Mrs Cheese in Hereford.
Does anyone know why he would h ay dad (his brother) was only 8 and he wasn't evacuated, he remembers my uncle going though.
Apparently Uncle loved country life, but not as much as the city, as he came home and enlisted. He served in Africa I think, will have to re-check with dad.
Thanks, Sue
I started at St Philips in September 1940, The main school was evacuated to Ludlow with Mr Larkin as head. I remained in Birmingham with the previous head continuing, The school was reunited when the war ceased in 1945, I left in July 1946 to take up an apprenticship with the Rootes gruup in Charlotte Street , I hope some of that might help

Back