• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My trip to the Dentist.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
About 2 weeks ago I was having a sandwich made with Granary bread.
I took a bite and an angonising pain shot through my face upwards past my nose,I was in agony.
I had bitten a very hard seed that had dislodged a filling in my front tooth and caused my front teeth to bang together.
after a very painful night I went to the dentist and he did an X ray,my front tooth was very loose and he thought that it might be dead although there was no fracture,another possibility was that the nerve had died.
I had to make another appointment for today when the front tooth had settled down.
In the past 2 weeks an abcess had appeared right at the nerve ending in my face,so today it was drain the abcess and pack the cavity through my tooth with antiseptic.This will last 4 weeks until i come from holiday and then the work begins to restore my tooth.
All of this because of a granary bread sandwich.

Now the amusing bit,at the end of my treatment the nurse said Robert(my dentist) had treatment yesterday.He had bitten into a granary bread sandwich and broken his tooth.

Alberta - I thought that granary bread was good for you???? If I was you, I would lay off the healthy options???

keith

Alberta,
It was a slice of hard toast in a hotel in Torquay (Fawlty Towers perhaps) that 'done' for me.
Hope it settles for you. You just can't think of anything else, when you have bad toothache.
Ann

Woke up in the early hours looking like the Elephant man,Dizzy,nauseous and in so much pain.
Back to the dentist a 9am.
He took the packing out redrained the abscess and left a loose packing.
I am taking antibiotics until Tuesday when hopefully he can seal it.

All because of a B****y slice of bread.

I feel for you Alberta. Our little dog jumped up with excitement a few weeks ago and banged Peter in the front of his mounth dislodging a front tooth to the extent that it came out while eating a chicken sandwich. Expensive dog and sandwich. He's not sure what the bill will be to have a false one. He's not smiling much at the moment. [Not at losing the tooth] but the bill at the end of it all. Look after yourself Alberta. Jean.

Alberta, I really feel for you, you may all think I make these things up but I can assure you they are all true. The one about the dentist is as follows. I was terrified of going to the dentist. It stemmed from a bad experience at the school medical clinic on Stratford Road, Springfield. He hurt me so much it gave me a phobia of dentists. My next problem was when I worked as a Driver on Golden Line Private Hire in the late fifties early sixties. I had a toothache so bad I was going out of my mind. Four friends took me to a dentists surgery over a bank on Bordesly Green. He took the tooth out and after a long chat he gave me a prescription for tranquilisers and a further appointment. I was surprised at myself for turning up but I did and he removed all my teeth in one go. He said he did it because of my fear. I have never worn my dentures and I have never regretted having them all out. I worked part time on doors in those days and was never worried about trouble, but if I got toothache it was accomanied by loose bowel movements. I cant spell diarea. Can you imagine all the years since, being fear free.

As a youngster I used to be taken to a dentist in St Mary's Road, Bearwood, with the off-putting name of 'Wildman'. He was nice, though, and when I had to have an extraction, he gave me gas and I 'drifted' off, out through the bay window of the converted house that was his surgery, and woke up a little later with no pain. I never minded going there, but later had worse experiences at others' hands.
If I have a filling now, I don't have the needle first as I think that's more painful then what the dentist does to the tooth, and I don't have numb lips for hours afterwards.

Returned to the dentist last Tuesday for more draining and packing until after my holiday.
I am supposed to be on holiday now.Went to Dorset on Sunday and I have been carefully avoiding biting with the offending tooth but then I forgot,resulting in one badly broken tooth.
Up at 4.30am this morning to get ready to come back with 2 Yorkies in tow but no caravan which we left there..
I shall see my dentist at 9.am what he will do I dont know,I think it will have to come out,something Robert ,my dentist, wanted to avoid.

Whatever happens I shall go back to enjoy my holiday.

Stitcher I went to that dentist,Carl Brown, in the late 60s and he took my tooth out up until now it is the only one that is missing but I have a bridge because he made me a plate with one tooth and I could not wear it,the bridge feels like my own tooth.

Mind you enjoy was not the word yesterday, there were gale force winds and the sea was coming over the sea wall.

Well it is almost time,I have been dawdling on here to take my mind off it.

Last edited:
Alberta, you are so brave. I would be sitting on the toilet if it was happening to me. I know it is a phobia so I know that whatever your dentist does it will all be o/k. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

As you can see by the date of this post I am once more back home,what a disaster this week has been.
I had the offending broken tooth removed on Tuesday at 9am and the root is OK so my dentist put a filling of ceramic in it to hide my gap so it now looks like half a tooth.
We set off in sunshine for Dorset and then the heavens opened and we drove through Bristol on flooded motorway.
The caravan park was awash,we spent the rest of the day and Wednesday, in rain and gales, couped up in the van with the poor little dogs. Steve got up on Thursday,looked at the 5 day forecast on TV and took the decision that our holiday was cancelled and we headed home.
The only money we spent this holiday was on petrol.
Oh well, there is always next year.

Oh Alberta welcome back, I'm so sorry that you holiday was a 'Washout' (No pun intended). I spent almost a week in 'A Van' in Devon in 1986 with three other people, that too was a 'Total Washout' and not much fun so I can fully understand Steve's decision.

hi Alberta,so sorry to here of your tooth,
i went to the dentist this week for a filling,all went well but i don,t like going
who does.
also your caravan holiday ruined what a time you ,ve had,i,m sitting here looking out at
my van in the front garden,we went away in June and have,nt used it since.
last year we had the rain cause a landslide where we were,i don,t think it,s stopped since June happy days. when will it stop regards dereklcg.

Never mind,I have all you lovely people to talk to and at least I still have a tooth root so in a couple of weeks I am having a new tooth screwed in.

Steve has calmed down a bit and I have convinced him that setting fire to the caravan is not really necessary,we are bound to get some good weather next year,aren't we LOL.

Alberta the long range forcast has predicted good weather towards the end of September and a dry October. Mind you ages ago they said it was going to be a naff summer and did they get it right. I don't mind the dentist just handing over the money hurts. Jean. Seriously I hope you get that tooth sorted soon. Jean.

Never mind the holiday, the tooth is the important thing. I hope the new tooth fitting goes alright for you. Trevor.

This is getting a bit like a TV sitcom.

At the dentist at 11.45am.he filled the root and cemented in a ceramic 'mock up' of a tooth until Friday when he will screw in my tooth hopefully.
His parting words were 'be careful I don't know how long that will last'.
It took 5 minutes to get home,had a cup of tea and almost swallowed the tooth which had fallen out.

Back again at 4pm.( to be continued)

Dreading the bill,might have to mortgage the house,LOL.

Alberta, in my opinion you are very brave. I have told you how I felt about dentists until I had all mine out.

Norma, I dont think you quite understand what I am saying. I was never a little nervous, after my first visit I was always absolutely petrified. I posted before that I had a course of tranquilisers to help me attend a visit when I had them all removed when I was barely in my twenties. That is why I think people like Alberta are very brave. I admire your courage Alberta.

Another temp until Friday,they are threatening to get me a camp bed in the surgery.

When I returned this afternoon there were 4 very beefy,butch young men in the waiting room.The dentist is opposite the local Gym and they were from there.
A young girl who knew them walked in and asked what they were doing in there.
The strongest looking of the four said 'I've got the toothache,man, and I have been crying with it because it hurts so much'.The others had obviously persuaded him to come to the dentist but he appeared to be terrified.
As soon as he went one his mates got up and made for the door saying' I can't stand being in here any longer',and the others followed him.

I had to go into another surgery but I would have loved to have seen the patient when he came out. Macho males Eh!

I can stand blood and I have had several replacement joints which I could easily have put of to another time, I was not scared when I had them done. Let me tell you this. It is not possible for me to put my fear of the dentist into words. I know how the big man felt today Alberta.

Back