• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My pet

B

Buttercup

I had to have my German Shepard x Collie put down the weekend, she was 15, had Arthritus and Cancer, while my heart is still in shock there is a poem i read years ago, i read it again the weekend and knowing that our dog loved us, and whom we loved in return, through the chewing of the furniture to the holes in the garden, the eating of the flowers to the chasing of the postman, it gives me some comfort to know, i done as she asked in the latter of this poem, i would like to share it with you, it goes like this

Treat me kindly my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world, is more grateful for your kindness, than the loving heart of me

Do not break my spirit with a stick for though i may lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding, will more quickly teach me, the things you would have me learn

Speak to me often, for your voice is the worlds sweetest music, as you know by the waggging of my tail when your footsteps, fall upon my waiting ear

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet for i am a domesticted animal, no longer accustomed to the bitter elements, i ask no greater glory, than the privilege, of sitting at your feet beside the hearth

Please keep my pan filled with fresh water for i can not tell you when i suffer a thirst

Feed me clean food that i may stay well to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready and willing, to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger

And my friend, when i and very old and i no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going, i am not having any fun, please see that my trusting life is taken gently

I shall leave the earth knowing that with the last breath i draw, that my fate was always greatest in your hands

It's a bit of a sad poem, which well reflects my mood the last few days, how sad the day's when our pet's leave us

There are many of us here who understand just how painful things are at this time, it's the very worst of feelings to be having. I'm really so very sorry, and hope that you understand that you did the very best thing for your much loved friend.

Thanks for sharing the poem.

She is Gone

You can shed tears that she is gone, Or you can smile because she lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back,
Or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
Or you can be full of the love that you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her and only that she is gone,
Or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back,
Or you can do what she would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

Author - David Harkins

This poem has very special meaning for me. It strikes a chord, it's how I think about my old friend Harvey. When you loose an animal, we all loose it with you and share your grief. The pain and sadness will ease, but your love for your pet will go on. Treasure your memories, and when you feel the time is right please post a picture of your pet for us to share.

La Blanchardiere

I was sorry to hear about your beloved dog.

I am sure there are many members who know the pain and sadness you are feeling at the moment.

You did the kinest thing for her because you loved her.

Both yours and Rods verse brought a lump to my throat.

Fay

15 is a great age for a dog. You would not be in pain now if you had never had the dog but nor would you have the good times and companionship to remember. You gave that dog a great life..that need not have happened...in other circumstances she might have been ill treated. Best wishes.

My heartfelt sympathy Buttercup. Losing the dog you have cherished and who has been a faithful companion is so painful.

By Friend.

SORRY BUTTERCUPi i do know how you feel.i miss mine.every time i pass the vets i say hello to him,i still cry now i loved him too.it made me very ill for a while,i felt so guilty taking him,i but had no chice he was ver sick.god bless, pete

If this isn't the worst action pet lovers have to do in making the final decision for their beloved animals, I don't know what is. I am very sorry for your loss
Buttercup.

My Friend

Hi
Just Read About Your Loss I Know The Feeling Well As I Know Others Do On This Forum.i Lost My Beloved Ben Last Year He Was Nearly 17 His Birthday Would Have Been Poppy Day. I Know All People Are Different But We Had Molly Just A Week After From A Rescue Centre And She Has Made Such A Difference To Our Lives She Can't Replace Ben But Believe Me She Fills That Void Over And Over Again With Love And Affection.
All The Best
John
PS THE PICTURE IS BEN

so sorry

buttercup we had to have our dog magic put to sleep 18 months ago we still think of him and love him but all i can say to you is the pain of your loss will slowly go but you will always have your memories no one can take them away thinking of you
brian

We too have a german shepherd/collie cross.......wonderful combination.
I'm sorry for your loss, we have had two dogs put to sleep in the past....it was a kindness in the end.

Turning to my childhood (which I'm still in) I di remember "our old Bob"
a great dog who I remember ran down the path "seeing off" a couple of lads who were giving me grief, My Hero.......when he died of old age I remember the binmen where sent for to "take him away".....
They came up the path one each end of a tin bath, with caps in hand.

Fluff

I have a pet, Fluff, (that's it's name) it does not belong to me but i love him/her so much, It's like a big ball of black wool and so loving, makes my day when i see it, it came from France so i suppose i should call it Flu Flu.....Cat:)

Fluff

Alf,:) i will take one, and then put it on the next time he /she comes to call......Cat:)

We have just had a tearful day... my handsome pussy cat Roger has had to be put to sleep.
He found us around 15 years ago so we never knew how old he was... and he was a wild one and probably mistreated at some stage ... but we gave him a home and he gradually settled down..with my other pussy cat George. He has been a rogue all the time we have had him but last year I put him out one night and he didn't come back as usual... this was the start of his memory loss. After a day of searching and posting posters I found him on a similar doorstep to ours.. he had wondered down steps and up a busy road!! From then on he was confined to the back garden. He had a massive leg operation about 4 years ago as he started to limp and was in pain... the vet thinks he was deformed from birth and it only showed up as he matured.
To go out during the night he would sit by the door and bang it with his leg!! so you had to let him out!!!
We've loved him through thick and thin and lately I have rocked him off to sleep like a baby. The last year has been the hardest... watching him getting lost around the house.. sitting for ages behind a door waiting for the hinged part to open:rolleyes: and howling for us to come and find him. Eventually we had to put a collar and bell on him... so that we could find him easily. What a loveable rogue he has been... We are going to miss him dreadfully... but I know he is at peace... but the tears still fall. My handsome Roger.... named Roger the Lodger. Sleep tight.
Georgie. xxx xxx xxx

Hello Buttercup,

First of all to you and everyone here who has lost a beloved pet, my condolences, it truly is like losing a member of your family.
I remember many years ago when I had brought home, what was to be my only Dog..
An Insurance man was in my house and Polo (my new puppy) was asleep on my lap..
The guy said to me, 'one day that Dog will break your heart' he was right too, 14 years later she did just that, when she passed away with her head cradled in my arms...
17 years have moved on from that date and I love and miss her just as much as the day it happened.
The Insurance man also said that people can have many pets in their lives, it's just our life span being longer than theirs, it's inevitable we will outlive them.
My Polo showed me more love, faith and trust than any human being I've ever known.
With Poll, it was unconditional and unwavering, I have never had another Dog since, simply because Polo could never be replaced, nor would I seek to.
They talk of pets being expensive to keep, to look after, Vets fees etc..
You want to know the real cost of keeping a pet who is part of your family?
It's a broken heart.

And what of pets the 'owner' said.
A friend I've known and long adored.
Has left me now and broke my heart.
Her loss cuts deeper than a sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Georgie, that's so sad. We had to have our cat put down last year and I know how you mourn. It's so difficult when we lose our pet friends, they are part of the family.

i am very sorry to hear about your beloved cat i know it is hard as we have been through the hardship of having to let go but there is one thing to remember no one can take your memories away of the love your cat gave to you and they will stay with you forever as ours have with our loss of our pet dog 18 months ago just think of the happy times Roger gave you i know it is not much consalation but time is a great healer
brian baker

I am so sorry when I hear of someone losing a pet - I have lost five - and feel guilty every time thinking I could have done more? But when they are not getting any fun in their lives- It is time-

People who love animals do the best the they can. . We all have to die sometime- the irony of it is animals have such short lives.

In time when the hurt is not so strong - you will adopt another pet. In many shelters animals are pleading with you to take them home - Saying 'we won't take up much room - we will just sit at your feet- just stroke me once in a while and I will be your friend'

Last edited by a moderator:
OH Georgie, so sorry to hear about your beloved pet, i am sure, as already stated, so many people share your sorrow and the pain you are feeling at this time and our thoughts are with you.

Back