• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My Only Blind Date

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
This one is true. Names changed to protect the innocent:

Di had been friends with Livi since school, and after starting work together were never apart.

It was Christmas and Livi was appearing in a pantomime at the Bus Depot in Perry Barr. She was stage struck and as soon as her father, who was a bus driver, told her of the auditions she could talk of nothing else. She disappeared three times a week for rehearsals. Di was not allowed to go with her, she wanted her to be there for the opening. Di missed her company and looked forward to the Big Night, there would be an end to the rehearsals and life would get back to some sort of normality.

At long last the day arrived, Di had a free ticket and Livi had arranged for her to sit with Gerry, the son of one of her dad's co drivers. She had never met him but was told she would recognise him because he was very tall and well built.
He was waiting outside the Depot, and Di was able to go straight to him and say hello. He was not on his own, but had brought his friend Don with him. Don was beautiful, a tall, blonde haired, blue eyed adonis. She was smitten.

We watched the panto in awe, Livi was the star of the show, she was a born performer and took a good few curtain calls. Di's mind was not, surprisingly, entirely on the show, and she waited impatiently for Livi to get out of her make up. The two girls were going for a coffee in the BR in Birchfield Road with Gerry and Don.

Di saw a lot of Don in the next few months, he took her to her first Jazz concert at the Town Hall. He was such a nice lad, he was eighteen, the elder by two years and very serious in his intentions. Di was still going out with Livi, and their other friends, very much enjoying life. If only Don could have been less serious, more relaxed about the relationship. She knew she would hurt him, and really didn't want that.

It all had to come to an end when he said he wanted to marry her. After that Di really tried to cool it off, but Don didn't seem to catch on. He was waiting for her outside the house when she arrived home from work one day, wearing a blazer and open necked shirt, he looked good enoough to eat - She said the usual girly thing - really busy and couldn't see him for a while.

The two met some years later, when Di was married. She knew he had a girl friend but he didn't know she had married. He asked her if she would meet him for a drink, this time she was busy and really couldn't ever see him again.

If you read this D I still think of you , and I'm so sorry.

:D Nice one Di 8). By the way All my dates were 'Blind' ones, could never see what a guy looked like till I got real close and I mean Real close... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back