• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Nan's sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandad would say like a nun in a nockin shop. (Brothel). I Liked Jake Thackery. And Richard Digance. Mike Harding and Max Boyce. Don't know the Nun song, I liked Seven Drunken nights by the Dubliners. Also remember Soeur Sourire (Sister Smile) mispronounced by a radio 2 DJ as Sewer Sourire. She sang Dominque and sadly killed herself when she didn't get any more fame after that.

Hi nico, your nan's sayings reminds me of a time when I lived and worked in dudley for a while and some of their sayings. Ge it sum omma was one meaning give it some hammer. Another one was the brummagem screwdriver referring to a hammer. Another one was don't tickle it, hit it and final one for the moment, when you referred to a flat tyre, they would say only on the bottom. Regards nijinski
Yes Nij Nan used to say that, she was from Wordsley, Stourbridge, her mother in law was frorm Silver End, Kinver. Her Aunts by marriage were from Gornall. She would say it' me ommer ond. An 'ee looks lark a mon arm ooncle tow. Or, 'er fess 'ud stop a clock. Er'm boss eyed. It's a rum 'un etc etc. DIdithese on earlier posts Nij. Makes me smile though. And she went to the Grammar School. Nico.

Jake sang "Sister Josephine" about the Nun!.

Nan used to to tell me that I would "stick like it" if I pulled a face.
rosie.

And did yer Rosie? If she had overdone it Nan would say she was all coopered up. And if someone had a tick it was St Vitas dance. Or if someone was spending all their money they would bloo the lot. If someone was a wimp she would say 'ee couldn't knock the skin off a rice puddin'. I would say I will be a so and so when I grow up and Nan would say I will be pushin' up the daisies then.

No I didn't Nico, thankfully! Didn't get curly hair for eating crusts either!!
She didn't like me cutting fingernails on a Sunday, she was so superstitious, but that's a different thread.
rosie.

Jake sang "Sister Josephine" about the Nun!.

Nan used to to tell me that I would "stick like it" if I pulled a face.
rosie.
That's it thanks rosie, I can still see him singing it on that's life many moons ago. regards nijinski

Here's some more saings I heard in dudley.
If I don't see you in the wick, I'll seeyou in the candle, or if I don't see you thru the wick, I'll see you thru the window.

I was hoping to find out a little more about 'never in the reign of pigs pudding' and tried to follow the link below - David Grains post #49. It comes up with a strange screen which has happened before. Any ideas how I can access the link please? I've tried copying and pasting it into my browser but the same thing happens.

I was hoping to find out a little more about 'never in the reign of pigs pudding' and tried to follow the link below - David Grains post #49. It comes up with a strange screen which has happened before. Any ideas how I can access the link please? I've tried copying and pasting it into my browser but the same thing happens.

I’m sure my nan used to say “Never in a ROUND of pigs pudding”

The expression 'Never in a rain of pigs pudding' means something will never happen. like
me winning the lottery:laughing:.........pigs might fly

Last edited:

As my name was mentioned I thought I ought to check. I see my post was back in 2012 so I don;t remember the occasion. I tried the link and it asked me to log in again which I did and was told that I needed Admin rights to access that link. There was a thread on the forum about Brummie saying and I wonder if that was it.

Found it!

Go to Shortie's post number 778 and follow on for some replies on the next page.

I know 'never in a land of pig's pudding' as meaning something was a fantacy that would never happen.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my pigs pudding query. I just wondered where it came from. Dad used it quite often but Mom never did. He always said 'never in the reign of pigs pudding'. It funny how the phrase is slightly different to other people. Still means the same though.

Never in a month of Sundays, I always assumed was something that could happen occasionally but not for at least 31 weeks, possibly about once in a blue moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back