• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Nan's sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was always called a "Piece" when we were kids.
What a great thread. My Nan always said “make haste” when I was leaving to go back home. I only lived eleven doors away. We always called bread and butter a piece. I still use the word chobbling and my husband loves a piece of jam. . More happy memories.

There was a saying as children when we got frozen clothes in off the washing line.... as stiff as yer father. I never really knew what it meant. Hope it wasn't rude as I think it might be now!!!
Maybe she meant jed. Dead.I think it means drunk too.

I brought me 'arp to the party, but nobody asked me to play.

I have just been trying to work a central heating timer, my friend said download it from the net I said, I have got the destructions. (Another one of Nan's).

My Coventry Gran used to say Hair teeth and mediceenal. Before she went to bed, and are ya ready? Shoot! fire! bung!
(I posted this before but say if she was giving you tea and cake....) Do ya need a plate.....you do? groan! Do ya want it in yer 'and Mrs Murphy, or do ya want it lyin down?
Or if I dropped something, ......I told 'em - Oldham!. and do yer want yer Huddersfield? She often stood in front of her little open fire, I'm just warming me hands up, as the milkmaid said to the cow.

I was thinking....Aunty would give you a fine see through china cup, of tea, a different service for coffee and a matching plate and a cake fork to eat her home baked cake with.
Nan gave you an odd plate that didn't match, for her home baked cake, saying "do you want a mug or a cup, or a cup or a mug?" She would always have a mug herself and say "a mug for a mug!"
Gran begrudged you a plate saying it don't matter, she said that for everything, and I ate her shop bought Battenburg or angel cake off her plastic, did they have plastic then, lino? table cloth tacked to her table. Her plane crock cups were like we had at school, and at garden parties and events..but I loved them all.

Following up on Senoraruz, the conversation around our family was:-

“Where’s the whatnot gone?”

”It’s ’angin’ up, on the floor, be’ind the jug!”

Yo'wm muthered an' smothered,..... Nan thought I was molly coddled.I 'Ees mammy licked..... of a very timid child I was at school with. I wonder where Molly Coddled originates?

Yo'wm muthered an' smothered,..... Nan thought I was molly coddled.I 'Ees mammy licked..... of a very timid child I was at school with. I wonder where Molly Coddled originates?
Molly Coddled appears to be universal. These are the lyrics to an American song called Molly Coddled

Not exactly in the lap of luxury
You were not quite of blue blood
But you know you went to bed
With a belly full of supper
You were safe as a bug in a rug
You were swaddled and jolly molly coddled
Like a dolly and you mommy maybe gave a little shrug
When you threw a temper tantrum
For another piece of something
That other kids only dream of

Status
Not open for further replies.