• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Nan's sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just been told dinner is ready and out comes my reply, one of my dad's sayings. Okey doke an the Brummigum ow do ya do!

I have just been in the kitchen fettling the remains of yesterday’s stew into a mug of soup for a drink this morning. Won’t need a piece to accompany it as it’s got some lumps in, just the liquidiser to smooth it out a bit.

A saying of my mother in law’s came into my head, if anyone pushed away an unfinished plate of food she would say -

‘tis better to belly bost than good food should be lost’,

that’s north Staffs, not Birmingham I’m afraid, but I have not heard it from anyone else.

I have just been in the kitchen fettling the remains of yesterday’s stew into a mug of soup for a drink this morning. Won’t need a piece to accompany it as it’s got some lumps in, just the liquidiser to smooth it out a bit.

A saying of my mother in law’s came into my head, if anyone pushed away an unfinished plate of food she would say -

‘tis better to belly bost than good food should be lost’,

that’s north Staffs, not Birmingham I’m afraid, but I have not heard it from anyone else.

I know the better belly bost...!
My parents used to say it and we're all Brummies.

My m-i-l was born in Newcastle in 1920, and grew up in the Westlands. They would think Rosemary Hill Road was a bit down market!

My m-i-l was born in Newcastle in 1920, and grew up in the Westlands. They would think Rosemary Hill Road was a bit down market!
Sorry John, I had to look that up

Zoopla estimate of current average house price
Westlands Newcastle £258.881
Rosemary Hill Road £1,174,122

This is now, that was then!
Plus it was my in-laws!

Last edited:
Johnfromstaff's food got me thinking but I can't recall any saying, as yet about refusing food.
Nan not let my mum live down lots of things she said as a child, one being "ar lark a boon with plenty o' mate on it."

And one of Nan's riddles she told me as a child,
Riddle ma riddle ma rota tote.
I saw a man in a red coat,
With a stick in his hand
And a stone in his throat.
Riddle ma riddle ma rota tote.
What am I?
Answer = A cherry.

Our teacher Mrs Davies asked us to come up and write a longer word as we could in front of the class once. And I astounded her when I was seven, as I slowly spelled out on the blackboard, muttering under my breath... 'difficulty.'
Because Nan had taught me another rhyme,
Mrs D, Mrs I, Mrs F F I,
Mrs C, Mrs U Mrs L T Y ,
Mrs Difficulty!.

That’s really weird!

The cherry rhyme was a favourite of both my maternal grandfather, born Werrington 1889, and my father-in-law, born Stafford, 1918.

That’s really weird!

The cherry rhyme was a favourite of both my maternal grandfather, born Werrington 1889, and my father-in-law, born Stafford, 1918.
My maternal grandparents were from near Stourbridge.

She had another one.

Little Nancy Ettycoat,
In her yellow petticoat,
She has a long red nose,
The longer she stands,
The shorter she grows.
What am I? = A candle.

And one I never really got,
What goes up a spout down
And down a spout up?
An Umbrella.

And someone who was pregnant was up the spout, according to Nan. And I luckily would be thinking about umbrellas and wondering what she meant.

Mary Jones,
A bag o'bones
An' a bally full of fat.

I just posted something on Viv's Shard End post, using one on of Nan's,
"It was enough to make your hair curl"

If someone fell over badly, "they went a purler".

The version we had was “What can go up a chimney down, but can’t go down a chimney up?”

Which perhaps makes it a bit clearer.

Anything that could make my hair curl would be better than good! It would need to find it first.

The version we had was “What can go up a chimney down, but can’t go down a chimney up?”

Which perhaps makes it a bit clearer.

Anything that could make my hair curl would be better than good! It would need to find it first.
Ot that will put hairs on your chest (crusts)
or that will pull the hairs of yer chest, (strong liquor)
or that will put some mate on yer, (nourishing food like a broth)
If Nan put some winter drawers on she said it was to keep her neck warm.
Grandad would be looking for 'me 'ard 'at with sleeves in'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone heard of 'that's a weight off my spine'?
No AMW but if you came in, instead of saying have a seat Nan would say
"tek the weight of yer carcass. Or
"sit thee down yow mek the place look untidy," and
"you are in yer grannies" [ meaning relax], I thought that's what you said because great gran lived with my grandparents, partner says, relax Max, usually if I take a corner a bit sharp.
"Oh me ackin cow!" My hacking cough. (Nan)
My mate's Gran who was Irish said of people who took their shirt off, when it was not that warm out, "they must be hot in their leather."" And :you're in your grannie's yacht," (relax again) and "don't make strange."

Our teacher Mrs Davies asked us to come up and write a longer word as we could in front of the class once. And I astounded her when I was seven, as I slowly spelled out on the blackboard, muttering under my breath... 'difficulty.'
Because Nan had taught me another rhyme,
Mrs D, Mrs I, Mrs F F I,
Mrs C, Mrs U Mrs L T Y ,
Mrs Difficulty!.
The word Difficult was a word that I shall never forget because of the way that the teacher humiliated me in class over the spelling of that word. In modern terminology I would have been in Year 5. I don't remember why but I was standing at the front of the class and the teacher was at the back. I was asked to spell 'difficult'. I should say that I still struggle with spelling but am better now than I was as a child. I was very shy as a boy and standing there in the front of the class I was very nervous. I kept stumbling over the spelling and the teacher, Mrs Pearce, was making fun of me and all the class were laughing at me. Being a very logical person I was further confused by her telling me 'it wasn't difficult' yet that was the very word that I was being asked to spell.

Making someone feel or look like an idiot is never a good practice, and completely ignores the fact that people's rates of learning differ, and some things come naturally and others don't. I still struggle with calculus today, not that I have a need to comprehend it, yet I used to enjoy algebra and arithmetic, but found the bulk of geometry seemed to be remembering the proof of theorems and that bored the pants off me! Each to his own.

Maurice :cool:

Making someone feel or look like an idiot is never a good practice, and completely ignores the fact that people's rates of learning differ, and some things come naturally and others don't. I still struggle with calculus today, not that I have a need to comprehend it, yet I used to enjoy algebra and arithmetic, but found the bulk of geometry seemed to be remembering the proof of theorems and that bored the pants off me! Each to his own.

Maurice :cool:
Nan also did counting songs when she worked, so I got up to ten!
Or we would sit and have a sing song in the afternoon.
One Man went to mow,
Ten Green Bottles,
1 2 3 4 5 Once I caught a fish alive,
Charlie Charlie Chuck Chuck Chuck, Went to bed with three old ducks, that wouldn't be PC now!
Fatty and Skinny went to bed, Skinny blew off! and Fatty dropped dead!
Who Killed Cocked Robin
Clear The Way For Old Bob Tyler,
Or just a line from a song, yer daddy's mutherrrr! Why Nan? Why? .....Why did I kiss that girl, why oh why oh why, ....I wish I was single me pockets would jingle......If Nan got a suprise, " I have seen it all now, you love another! In a Noel Coward type voice, or a phrase, to answer something I said, "don't go runnin off you got to 'old me 'and in 'ere" ....
"so 'old me 'and till love comes!", I am sure now that had conotations!
Whip it quick meant hurry up, she coupled that sometimes with a very rude phrase that I cannot put here, but it was a very early method of contraception. I never understood thankfully.
Naughty songs, I also never understood, like to the tune of The Ash Grove, I head that one again with the rugger lads!
Mum said, that war had a lot to answer for when your Nan was on nights on the NFS switchboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back