• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My Mothers Son. by Patrick Hughes

The Story of this mans life in Guilford St. After reading this book i remember his mom,and went to School with his niece.

If you read that book and knew his mom (I remember her too), you must have known Rudhall's shop which figures in the book. We lived next door to them at number 26. Did we know one another? But of course maybe we are different ages - I was born 1941. Did you know Barbara Clarke, Valerie Hale, Christine Trotter?

A light bulb just flickered in my head and then went out but while it was on I saw the words 'the Turvey family'.
Back to topic, it's a great book, I would recommend it to anyone. It bought back many memories for me. I am glad it is still available. I didn't know Patrick as he was older than me. His family life was similar to many of my friends and neighbours in Guildford Street.
I had a very close friend who lived near the Hughes. Sadly I can't remember his name, I only knew his first name anyway. We only met at school holidays but got on well and played together; he was a great friend whoever he was. I never knew where he was during term time. I was told that he went to a reform school, sent there for pouring petrol over someone an setting light to it. If that was true I saw no trace of it in his character.

Michael, I didn,t actually know The Hughes family as such but my friend from school Sandra was mentioned in the book and i saw the picture of Patricks Mom i recognised her straight away .She never really altered. I originally came from Paddington St but left 1959. I Was only 8/9 at the time . My brotherinlaw came from Guilford St I Think it was Guilford Place that he lived in.

I have just found Sandra in the book, she must have been about your age. The Toulouse family are mentioned on the same page; my parents were friendly with them, and I have often been in their house. The Hughes family probably knew my father. He used to repair local people's radios, and later, their tellies

Michael, Sandras name was Hadley. She actually lived in Berners St when i Knew her. Infact i went to her 15th Birthday party.

Back