• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My mate

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
My mate Billy wuz a funny little chap,
Green snotty nose and a tatty school cap.
He talked with a lisp and walked with a limp
Had sticky out ears, made him look like a chimp
His clothes were always tatty and never very clean
He always wore hand me downs from his sister, Jean
He wore national health glasses, one lens with a plaster
And cut down wellies to help mek him run faster

I can picture him now Postie,with the smell of urine and the blue dye on his head which was for impetigo
but that is only my memory, amazing how images of the past come flooding back when just a few words are mentioned, I bet Billy was a great kid.

It is so insensitive to make fun - I saw some of the same images growing up - But fortunately going to St Mary's school on Churchill Road in Handsworth thjey were given help including my friend Maurice Bassett - his story maybe still on this site - I don't know

Posted his account of the battle of Arnhem Lets Not Forget - so please don't put anybody down this life

:angel: Beryl I don't think Postie or anyone was making fun of 'Billy'. It was just another way of expressing 'Childhood' memories.
We all know 'Billy and Jean' when growing up in Brum and more than one if you lived in Highgate, or Nechells. Kandor grew up in a whole family of them if you read his posts and so did a few others who post on here.

The saddest thing I remember as a child on this subject was a little girl who was in my class at school. We were 5/6 yrs olds and she was the target of much fun making by all the kids in the class including me. We were told one day in assembly that she had died.

So sad - that Madelaine was not looked after - and what a kind teacher Miss Gough

Beryl The Eddie i refered to did exist. i last saw him 45 years ago and idid bump into his sister he has had a very good life a fine and rewarding army carere.The point i was trying to make was most Billys make it.

Robert

When I read your poem I thought how very clever and funny it was.
The thought of Billy being a real person was far from my mind.
I read it for what it was, clever and witty.

It reminds me somewhat of the story about having to go with
mother to the Army and Navy Store to buy my clothes, but after
a while I got fed up with having to go to school dressed as a
Japanese Rear Admiral.

Your brother

Robert H

Billy was a figment of my imagination, he just popped into my head one day, it was just harmless fun.
How can I be rebuffed for taking the Mickey out of someone who never existed, the phrase, get a life, springs to mind. :uglystupid2:

Sorry Postie - thought Billy was a real person - But then I don't know you as others do on the site

From now on I will know you to be a person with a tongue in cheek style of humour in which things are said only half seriously, or in a subtly mocking way

Knowing that I think you have written a very witty clever poem

Back