• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My mate marmite ;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys ;
as i was eating my breakfast this morning along with my breakfast i do have toast every morning ;
my black pudding and bacon and eggs [ not to often thou with the eggs ] i have our dear old friend marmite ;
and i was thinking just how many people eat marmite ;at any given time ; is ot still popular with any of our forum members
and i wondered just what the true sales figures would be correct ; so i thought i would drop in here ; just see ifany of our members still like ; or tryed it or just would not eat it ; as we all know how its orinionaly made ;
i love my old mate marmite just like i love my birmingham history forum and its members ;
look like a good sunny day here in worcestrshire ;
rubbish day in hams hall boot yesterday ; people went by 10 oclock ; because of beng rained off

still have nice day everybody ; bes wishes astonian ;; a;lan ;;;;

Alan I always have a jar in the cupboard for when our autistic son visits. He would have marmite on everything if I stood for it. He loves twiglets too. I never eat it I am afraid. Have tried it on toast but no not for myself. Jean.

Hi jean
yes i do like them twiglets ;but i do not have them very often i,m afraid ;
if i go to a party and they are there i will eat them but i must say i have not had them for ages ;
i,m waiting for another party to come along ;
nice to hear from you again best wishes alan ;

Astonian, with me its once bitten twice shy ,we only tried it because it is said you either hate it or love it and we hated it !.

I love both Marmite and Bovril. The best is beef dripping spread on (dry) toast, then some Marmite on top. Absolutely ace, and puts hairs on your chest. When we lived in the USA we couldn't get either Marmite or Bovril, except when I went up to Canada on business - and then I could get only those enormous jars the size of bowling balls. My dad worked for a furnace company which had an office in Burton-on-Trent, right opposite the factory that made Marmite (which is a yeast by-product of brewing), and the smell sickened him. He could never touch Marmite because of that. There's an Australian equivalent to Marmite called Vegi-Mite, which is nearly as good. Lovely grub! I'm peckish now.

Big Gee

Maybe Vegimite isn't so strong-flavoured as Marmite, but I quite liked it. My mom used to dissolve an Oxo cube in boiling water for a goodnight drink, and I liked that too.

Big Gee

I had forgot about Oxo in boiling water loved it. But I don't like Marmite or Bovril funny how your tastes dither.

I used to like Marmite as a spread and Bovril as a drink, but haven't had either for years - never seem to think of them now. When I was a kid I used to eat OXO cubes - must have had a salt deficiency ??
Anthea

When I was a kid I used to eat OXO cubes - must have had a salt deficiency ??
Anthea

So did I, but only when at the infants/junior school. I used to call into a grocers store I passed and by a cube. Were they a farthing or half penny each in the mid 1940's?

At my next school a chum and I gravitated to milk shakes - usually pineapple flavour in my case - on our way home. We needed the 'food' as we cycled most places then.

Astonian, we are a mixed crew in our house, hubby, eldest daughter and son hate it, I like it but has to be thin layer on hot buttered toast - not that I am fussy or anything! - and middle daughter loves it anyway. She has a collection of Marmite objects and has the Marmite cereal bars for breakfast, I really didn't like them :(.
And you can still smell it inBuron some days.
Sue

hi sistersue ;
it just the way i love it every morning with breakies and any think else yes i also collect all marmite objects
also my wife loves it ; and thats why it does not last long in our house ;great stuff and its good for you ;
have a nice day best est wishes astonian

Love It, Love It, Love It,
Not tried the dripping and Marmite thing but I will this weekend. I Love Marmite and Peanut Butter Toasties. I also like to spread Marmite on my roast potatoe's about 5 min's before they finish cooking. It gives them a real beefy taste.
I also like Bovril but only as a drink and I too am guilty of eating the OXO Cubes as a child.
I used to like Smith's Bovril flavoured crisps and I absolutely loved "Chipmunk" OXO crisps back in the 60's (Anyone remember them eh?)

As a child I spent 7 months in hospital and every morning one of the nurses used to wheel me down to the WVS canteen so I could have a cup of OXO as a treat. I never did thank her. Oh well! if you're that nurse....THANKS!

We all love Marmite in our house. Shall be trying it on the roasters, never heard of that before. There's now a lower salt version too which you can get at Sainsburys and Tescos. And it tastes as good as the original. Thumbs up! Viv.

xxsz.jpeg
After breakfast I always read the Birmingham Mail and this morning I saw the above paragraph. After I have read the paper I usually look at the news on MSN or Google. It was MSN this morning and again I saw reference to Marmite so I read it all and it said that due to factory damage sustained in the strong earthquake some weeks ago Marmite production is zero. This has caused panic buying and soaring prices with the going rate in some areas reaching $2,000, or the equivalent of £1,000. I find this very hard to believe so I have E.Mailed a friend over there and I will let you know what he says.

My friend has replied that the price in the news here in a bit exagerated but he has seen it $75 for a small jar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher, one of my work colleagues ahs a son in NZ, a Marmite lover and she is going over to see him next week, he has rung for her to bring in emergency supplies as the cheapest they can find it is $78!
Sue

Hello Sue, my friend is in the south, not deep south it is a place called Lower Hutt and he said it is being offered at the price I said earlier of $75, I checked the news item I read this morning and it does say $2.000. I checked itin case I had made a mistake.

Back