• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Lozells Family, ordinary lives, extraordinary people

Lozells girl

I was born in Church Street Lozells in 1949 & have a lot of old family photos dating back to the late 19th century. My mother was a great storyteller so I have put everything together in a book, My Lozells Family. There is some history of Lozells but it is mainly about 3 generations of my family & lots of photos. If you would like to know more, please contact me. I went to Anglesey Street school so hello to all those who went there in the 1950s

hi lozells girl and welcome to the forum...usually if a member is advertising the sale of a book we do like them to ask the permission of the forum owner first...in most cases this is granted but out of courtesy it is best to ask

just as an aside i lived in nearby villa st from 58 until 72 so i know the area very well in fact i visit a lady who still lives in church st

lyn

Last edited:
Sorry, I am new to this so still feeling my way round things. My Dad lived in Church Street all his life until he died in 2016 at the age of 96. I was a regular visitor to Church Street till then.

Thanks for the info. I paid for the books to be published so hold all the stock at home so will be sending them out from home if required.

moving this thread to a good book at bedtime thread...if you are interested in purchasing a copy of this book please contact lozells girl via our private message system for details

Arrived today. I am 3/4 of the way through; a great read.
I went to Burbury Street School and lived in Guildford Street. There was a pawn shop on the corner of Guildford Street which had a regular queue on Monday morning.
My sister worked at Lucas, including during the war. Down the road from where I lived was a courtyard with a house lived in by a Hewitts family. Also in Guildford Street were old friends of our family, the Mansells; many of who moved to Australia.

Hi Michael thanks for your message glad you are enjoying the book. My Grandpa Hewitt had 2 brothers, I think, Thomas & George, who lived in the area so it may have been one of them who lived near you. I never met them but do have a photo of Thomas. The Mansell family I married into came from Tipton & were not Brummies, so there is probably no connection with the Lozells crew. It struck me how many schools there were in such a small area - Anglesey Street, Burbury Street, St Silas school & St Francis school & even though there were so many the class sizes were big.

Hello Lozells girl.
I lived in Anglesey street from 1960 until 1975. I used to climb over the wall to enter Anglesey st school to play football with friends in the summer. My school was to St Francis in Brougham st and My parents met at Lucas Great King street

Before Anglesey st we lived in Great King street
Now in US, but Lozells will always be home. Great memories
Ray W

Back