• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

my local pubs

G

gary jordan

New Inns Nechells Park Rd the year was 1976 my best mate Wayne Travis and I over the next 6 years had a ball stumblin in in the early hours. From the new inns we progressed to the Villa Tavern we joined the pool team playing in almost every pub in Nechells/Aston let me sober up and I'll name them:
Nechells Park Hotel
The Britania
The Mitre
Oliver Cromwell
Prince Rupert
Hen & Chickens
Golden Cross
Shareholders Arms
Bartons Arms
Tom Thumb
Foaming Tankard
Prince Rupert
The Rocket
Ashted Hamlet
Dog & Partridge
Duddeston Ex Service
White Towers
Black Horse
The Adventures
New Inns ( Gt Lister St)
The Sportsman
Midland Hotel
Albion Vaults
The Albion
The Avenue
Sack Of Spuds
We had some great nights out and Wayne became my best man we hadn't seen each other for about ten years and then I went to a Duddeston Manor school reunion at The heartlands club 14 months ago even though he didn't go to my school that is now his local we had a ball again I might get round some of our old haunts when I get the time :madeyes:

:D I had my first official drink (Port & Lemon) at 18 in the New Inns Gt Lister ST. My Dad and The Landlord Mr. Basson ( Didn't Know his first name) were friends from way back when they were kids growing up in Aston. Mr. B had a growth behind his ear, he had at least two daughters one was Brenda, I remember her as she was my age. When the family took over the pub I was about 13 and spent lots of time in the back with Brenda while my Dad played the piano in the bar. They said that I would have to go to the New Inns as no one would serve me, or believe I was 18 at any other pub. Garry,my Dad played the piano in and I visited a number of those pubs that you mention on your list before leaving Brum for the 'Big Smoke' (London) in 'The Swinging Sixties'. 8)

New Inns

I have a vauge recollection a lad I went to school with lived at the New Inns, I think his name was Paul Irving, maybe later than Mr. Basson, maybe 67-68-69 or so?
After leaving school and passing my test I purchased a second hand Ford Anglia from the car lot just under the railway bridge in Nechells, opposite side of the road to the Sportsman. The sales man told me it was a good car and mentioned Paul Irving as the previous owner. Having bought the car and by chance meeting him I ask about the history, he told me it was a rot box!! He never spoke a truer word, I had a collission one night and I can remember to this day seeing aluminium foil with body filler on top through the gapping hole in the wing (what was left of it!). Seeing it next day it was evident that it was not only the wing the whole car was rotten and was written off.
And the list of pubs - I can safely say I been in them all at on time or another!!

Paul Irving

Hi Keith,

Paul Irving was in our year at Duddy, he had two younger twin brothers Martin and Maurice, their parents also run the 'Mitre' in Long Acre and a pub up by Sampson Rd/Stratford Rd..I dont know the name of that one..
As for the New Inns, I was only about one when I heard a woman was continually being thrown out of there for excessive boozing...I heard she
emigrated to New Zealand or something.. 8)

:D Funny that you should mention that Kandy, a little bird told me she is still known to drink Napoleon Brandy :alcoholic: with a very unsavoury character around 8am of a morning. Now before I get a slap :cry: for being of topic, can anyone tell me if The Acorn in Erdington is still there , or if it has changed it’s name what’s it called now? I had some great times in there with my friend Carol :lol: .

me and my friends, Bridgette and Christine used to go in the New Inns and the nearby Villa Tavern (I think it was called), on Stuart Street...as Christine's Uncle Matt lived in Stuart St.
I hate to admit, but we were only 13/14. :-[
But it was the New Inns we went in the most. Good jukebox...nice little lounge.
I remember some lads from there...
Paul Harris...I went out with him for 2 weeks ::)
Dalton
Paul? Avery?
Graham (went out with him for 2 or 3 weeks ::))
Malley (Malcolm)

Back