• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My granddad's, John Sheldon, birth certificate.

Hi Graham and Rose,
Graham I have been talking to Pat and she said there were 8 children, Another girl born after we had moved on.

Hi Freddy,
yes there was another little girl, her name is Julie she was born in 1965. Pat has put a photo on FB when all the family were together after many years of not seeing each other. Julie is on the left standing next to me. She unfortunately never met all the aunts , uncles and cousins but she knows about them. She is on FB that's how we all keep in touch, because we don't live by each other it can be some time before we all meet up. its lovely to hear from you, I am slowly piecing together our family tree if I can help you with anything let me know.

Bye for now Rose

Yes Fred & Rose, great to have found them after all this time, once again thanks to this forum and its wonderful members. Uncle 'Bill' & Anna were very productive, great pitty that we didn't all stay growing up together because they are a wonderful lot, not to mention their good looks too!

Fred I know you're as happy as I am with this outcome. Take care, love Graham. x

Hi Graham & Freddy, finding you both so quickly was amazing I just googled grandad's name and year of birth and I went straight to this web site. I've told a lot of people about the site. I don't think I could have given Pat happier news when I told her I had been in contact. All the aunt's, uncle's & cousin's and people from Sparkbrook have been talked about for years wondering where everyone ended up, but so far its all good news. I should be getting Grandad & Nan's birth certificates tomorrow I will mail you a copy.

Bye for now
love Rose

Rose, good thing you knew granddad's name as it took me a long time to find him. Looking forward to seeing the birth certs, Graham x.

Interesting (and successful) thread!

Has anyone done any work on exploring the earlier Sheldon generation(s), i.e. the Walsall connection which has been mentioned?

Chris

Interesting (and successful) thread!

Has anyone done any work on exploring the earlier Sheldon generation(s), i.e. the Walsall connection which has been mentioned?

Chris

Thanks for the positive comments Chris and no we know little or nothing of the Walsall connection; I wouldn't know where to start!

Thanks to Shera I now know quite a bit about John Sheldon's army life, how he was taken POW in WWI and ended up at Parchim camp where he died on 23 Dec 1918. I'm only guessing that he died of the Spanish flu, a terrible end when you think what he must have been through to survive all those years as a POW. But as I've said I'm only guessing.

Hey Graham, attached (hopefully) are pictures of Joseph Sheldon and Jane Markwick Sheldon. I have been struggling to piece together My SHeldon family tree for nearly 10 years, I've made some headway-it has been easier to trace the Markwick side -that I have some going back to the 1400's. I'll take any help you have on the Sheldons that you find-I can also maybe fill in some of your blanks as well. Of course any documentation is welcome too. So you are a 'Webb"? I work with two Webb's here one who came here from england- you'll have to give me details on that side as well.View attachment 87214View attachment 87215
I'm messaging on the off chance you will see this since it was written 8 years ago. I'm 25 years old. My Grandfather was called Norman Sheldon, his dad was called Arthur Sheldon and Arthur had a brother called John. I think we might be distant relatives? If so, it would be very cool. I've been trying to trace my family tree.

Welcome to the Forum, Holliesheldon.

Unfortunately, from the note under his avatar, it looks as though Graham is thought to have passed away. But let's hope that the revival of this thread will bring forth other members with an interest in the Sheldon family name and that you might be able to make some progress. I remain interested myself, but only in Walsall connections.

Chris

Welcome Holliesheldon.
Graham, sadly died on May 21st 2017 in Ghent, Belgium where he lived most of his life.
He was Graham Webb,a World Champion, British cyclist, he never got the honours he deserved in Britain but was honoured by the king of Belgium.

Alberta.

Last edited:
I'm messaging on the off chance you will see this since it was written 8 years ago. I'm 25 years old. My Grandfather was called Norman Sheldon, his dad was called Arthur Sheldon and Arthur had a brother called John. I think we might be distant relatives? If so, it would be very cool. I've been trying to trace my family tree.
Hi Hollie, Graham was my first cousin his mom and my dad were brother and sister, sadly Graham has passed away. I have info on John Sheldon (my grandad). I have'nt done much research recently but i can send you what i have. My family tree is on Ancestry there are a lot of members for the Sheldon family tree its very interesting.

Kindest Regards
Rose (Rosina Sheldon)

Hi everyone. I am working on my husbands family tree and have come unstuck on the John Sheldon line. I know that Joseph George Sheldon was born on January 20, 1891 in West Bromwich and his father was John Sheldon born June 12, 1870 (a cabinet maker) and his mother was Susan Maude nee Hill born 1872. Joseph George's grandfather was John Sheldon but I can not track down any further information. it's amazing what you can find these days with the internet but the number of John Sheldons is also amazing.
I am hoping that someone out there knows more than I can find. Joseph George Sheldon came to New Zealand and started his family here. He came to NZ because his older brother John Samuel Sheldon came out earlier.
many thanks
Tricia Hynds

John Sheldon b1870 seems to be registered with mmn Ingley.

If this is the case then there is a marriage for a John Sheldon to an Eliza Ingley 21 Oct 1867 Quarry Bank, Staffordshire. John is listed as a cordwainer (shoe maker) which ties in with the censuses and his father is listed William Sheldon, a whitesmith.

Hi everyone. I am working on my husbands family tree and have come unstuck on the John Sheldon line. I know that Joseph George Sheldon was born on January 20, 1891 in West Bromwich and his father was John Sheldon born June 12, 1870 (a cabinet maker) and his mother was Susan Maude nee Hill born 1872. Joseph George's grandfather was John Sheldon but I can not track down any further information. it's amazing what you can find these days with the internet but the number of John Sheldons is also amazing.
I am hoping that someone out there knows more than I can find. Joseph George Sheldon came to New Zealand and started his family here. He came to NZ because his older brother John Samuel Sheldon came out earlier.
many thanks
Tricia Hynds
Tricia,
i've done some research on this particular Sheldon line recently.
Joseph George Sheldon's birth was registered in 1892, not 1891. Joseph's elder brother, John Thomas Sheldon was born in 1890.
John Sheldon their father was born 1870 to
John Sheldon (b1847) and Eliza Ingley (m 21 Oct 1867 Quarry Bank Church)

John 1870-1908 Sheldon married Susan Maud Hill and for a time moved from Dudley/Tipton to Stoke on Trent, then back to Tipton.
Susan re-married in 1911 to Mortimer Massey.

John 1847 Sheldon actually married twice
1. Eliza Ingley (1846-1882) and had at least 8 children with her
2. Frances Amelia Butler and had at least 6 kids with her

John 1847 Sheldon his parents were William Sheldon and Phoebe/Phebe Southwick

Hey Graham, attached (hopefully) are pictures of Joseph Sheldon and Jane Markwick Sheldon. I have been struggling to piece together My SHeldon family tree for nearly 10 years, I've made some headway-it has been easier to trace the Markwick side -that I have some going back to the 1400's. I'll take any help you have on the Sheldons that you find-I can also maybe fill in some of your blanks as well. Of course any documentation is welcome too. So you are a 'Webb"? I work with two Webb's here one who came here from england- you'll have to give me details on that side as well.View attachment 87214View attachment 87215

my grandad John Sheldon was born 1882/3, according to the 1911 census he was born in Walsall. He married my grandmother Florence Ellen Butler in 1905. There were three children on the census at that time, my father William Arthur Sheldon was not born yet the address for the family was in Greet Birmingham. He was a nib maker and my grandmother worked from home making parts for riffles., I have been told he died in the 2nd world war. My grandmother later remarried. The post regarding your request for help which was answered in 2008 from the Perry Barr district ties in with what I know.

Regards Rose

Daughter of William Arthur Sheldon born 04/04/1918

Hi Graham and Rose,
Graham I have been talking to Pat and she said there were 8 children, Another girl born after we had moved on.
Hi all,
there was a lot of confusion over this particular Sheldon branch a few years ago regarding John Sheldon who married Florence Butler in 1905.
The key to this is John Sheldon's war record, where it gives his wifes name and that of his children, but, more importantly it also gives his father's name and that of his brothers Jos', Matthew and Alfred. Looking at the 1901 and 1891 census Joseph Sheldon senior is indeed with Jos', Matthew and Alfred, all these children have a mother's maiden name of Rudkin.
John Sheldon is actually Isaiah John Sheldon birth reg Walsall 3rd q 1883 mother's maiden name Rudkin.

Attachments

• army-proof.jpg
    army-proof.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1891-1901.jpg
    1891-1901.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 3
Tricia,
i've done some research on this particular Sheldon line recently.
Joseph George Sheldon's birth was registered in 1892, not 1891. Joseph's elder brother, John Thomas Sheldon was born in 1890.
John Sheldon their father was born 1870 to
John Sheldon (b1847) and Eliza Ingley (m 21 Oct 1867 Quarry Bank Church)

John 1870-1908 Sheldon married Susan Maud Hill and for a time moved from Dudley/Tipton to Stoke on Trent, then back to Tipton.
Susan re-married in 1911 to Mortimer Massey.

John 1847 Sheldon actually married twice
1. Eliza Ingley (1846-1882) and had at least 8 children with her
2. Frances Amelia Butler and had at least 6 kids with her

John 1847 Sheldon his parents were William Sheldon and Phoebe/Phebe Southwick
Thank you. This helps confirm a lot of the things I thought I had found. Now to update on all sites. How are you connected to the Sheldon’s?

Thank you. This helps confirm a lot of the things I thought I had found. Now to update on all sites. How are you connected to the Sheldon’s?
Tricia, i'm not directly connected to this Sheldon line myself.
I was helping a Keith Massey with this line around 10 years ago, before he passed away.
A few weeks ago his son John posted a message on a Sheldon surname Facebook page asking for help with this line, unknown to him at that time, that his Dad had already made a start on the tree.
They are connected to the Sheldons via Susan Maud Sheldon b1893 daughter of John Sheldon and Susan Hill.
Thomas William Paskin Sheldon was born out of wedlock to Susan 1893 Sheldon, he later changed his name to Massey as he was adopted by his step grandfather (long story) see pic attached for tree diagram.

I am a Sheldon by birth, and in the process of research my own Sheldons from Tipton/Dudley and late of Stoke on Trent, i've collected a fair ammount of data on other Sheldon lines, which I give away free of charge to others. Sheldons helping Sheldons so to speak.

Apologies to the forum if this isn't allowed, but The Sheldon Surname Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/82614439312
you will find a topic about these Sheldons and if you are a Facebook member, you could contact John Massey and share info.
My next step in helping John was to investigate the 2 brothers that went to NZ.
I'm quite happy to give out my email address and share any info i have, [email protected]

Attachments

• massey-sheldon.jpg
    massey-sheldon.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 3
I'm messaging on the off chance you will see this since it was written 8 years ago. I'm 25 years old. My Grandfather was called Norman Sheldon, his dad was called Arthur Sheldon and Arthur had a brother called John.
I've been trying to trace my family tree.
Hollie, have you any other info regarding your grandfather Norman i,e birth year and area, who did he marry ?
Likewise your Great Grandfather Arthur, who did he marry.
It will help us to find which Sheldon branch you come from

Darrell,
do you have any pictures of American documents that state the birth date of John Sheldon 1882, i.e naturalisation record, death record etc

Back