• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Grandad was Station Master

The Station Master at New Street that I remember in the late 80's was Jack Murphy. He was always an immaculately dressed man and a gentleman. He wore a bowler hat

My grandad (George Smith) oversaw the previous modernisation of the Station, he used to wear top hat and tails to work and then it was replaced with a smaller hat in the 1960’s.
I would have loved to see him in his top hat and tails what a impression he must have made on the platform amongst the steam.
Thinking about it how often did we see anyone in a top hat, a wedding perhaps ?

Top Hats were fine in enclosed large stations but not very good in many smaller and rural places where more traditional headgear was work, just embellished. ;) Those with memories of rail travel will recall what windy places many of them were.

Top Hats were fine in enclosed large stations but not very good in many smaller and rural places where more traditional headgear was work, just embellished. ;) Those with memories of rail travel will recall what windy places many of them were.
I think top hats were only worn on special occasions such as meeting the Royal Train. I doubt if the smaller stations ever had that duty and if they did then the hat would be provided on loan.

Hi,

In the early 60s I commuted to New Street Station daily, and I remember seeing the Station Master
coming to and from his office - just off the concourse by platform 6 from memory.

He always seemed to be wearing his Topper and Tails, but then I might have seen him on many
other occasions without them, and wouldn't have recognised him!

Kind regards
Dave

I think top hats were only worn on special occasions such as meeting the Royal Train. I doubt if the smaller stations ever had that duty and if they did then the hat would be provided on loan.
Back in 1956 the Station Master at Plymouth (NR) wore a top hat and a carpet was laid out when Lady Astor travelled to there. She was of course well known and liked in the city where she had represented Sutton,a part of the city, in Westminster for over twenty five years. I can be sure of it as I travelled from Newton Abbot to Plymouth with her (when in the RAF and quite accidentally, as I joined her compartment not realising it was her.) We had a good conversation and she gently nodded to the guard that all was well when he popped by. ;)
I watched her leave the train so I saw the magnificent welcome she received. A proud and memorable day for me.

Back